AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

AD 14 KIELGE

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo everybody,

Just ordered the plans for AD 14 and I am looking forward to build the boat KIELGE.

The last boat plan I ordered was on May 1 st 2005 for a FL11 . For some reason that I dont know myself I never built it most probably because my job was to stressful at the time. But the boat building dream exists for the last 35 years when I got the boatbuilders bug caused by some neighbors who were working on concrete boats ( the hulls were buit of chicken mesh and concrete ) in their gardens to sail the Cape to Rio race. Unfortunately a busy life with family and 3 kids and a move from South Africa to Austria came first and now that I am retired is the time to build an AD 14.

I have a brick walled shed 24 x 9 foot with a coal stove in it and a 20 x 8 foot garage where I can build.

Can anyone tell me the height of AD 14 from keel shoe to the top of the deck, because this will determine if I can build it in the shed where I can replace the existing door 205x100 cm with one of 205x150 cm ???
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by Stuff »

If my conversions are correct that is a 3ft 4 in door (100cm). It seems to small :doh: . Even the the 150cm door (just under 5ft) seems to small. I have a 7ft heigth garage door and my boat has about a foot of clearance. The boat is about a foot above the ground. You have to think about trailer clearance if you are going to store the boat in the sheed. I think you are to close for confort with does dimension.

BTW
I am building a AD16 it might be a little different.
Stuff

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Wow, I haven't heard of anybody else wanting the AD14. That's great. Why did you choose the shorter version? BTW I've got approximately 142 cm here for a number.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Bondo,

Thank You for Your reply.
The number 142 is for sure the height keelshoe to top.
This would mean if I build in my shed I can get it sideways out thru a 150 cm door but just by the skin of my teeth.
It is too close. I will use the shed for cutting all the plywood, building rudder, centerboard + case and use it as a workshop even in wintertime. And when I am ready to assemble I will do it in the garage.

Why I am building the smaller Adelie has a lot to do with Your excellent job You done on Your boat the last 3 Years.
You have proved that size is not everything and I am mainly thinking of Your massive building shed.

I have read all your posts and want to reach the same quality in applying the epoxy and as I was only daysailing in small dinghys in my youth I want to do just that when it is finished. My wife is not to keen to go to the Mediterranen sea on longer cruises so I might be sailing often alone and for that it is plenty big enough.

And the building of the nice design AD 14 is just as fullfilling for me as the sailing afterwards.

Right now I am finishing Devlin's Micro Petrel and practise the stich & glue method, before I starts the AD

Greetings from Austria

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

Bondo has dun a real good job on his boat I built the AD16 and have been sailing it for the past 6 years it has not let me down works gright on the west cost of Canada we can get some big water that is why i went with the 16 i tried to send you some pictures but they bounced back

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo »

bondo wrote:Wow, I haven't heard of anybody else wanting the AD14.
bondo,

It's a stealth popular boat. Lots of us bought the plans when they first came out in 2004. You're just the first to be actually building one. I almost started on one 2 1/2 years ago, but things came up and I couldn't devote the time to build it. Actually, the day after I received my plans 9 years ago, I cut out the skeg so I could claim title to the record of the longest AD14 build ever :-)

It's a great little design. Jacques had a real collaboration with us when he did it http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=70 and I feel as if he did a custom design for me at stock plans prices. So I had to order the plans even if I wasn't ready to build yet. With any luck at all I can start sometime in the next couple of years and maybe join you and karl in a regatta one day.

Really nice job with your build, BTW.

Laszlo

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Sorry we hijacked your thread. Das Boot knows, and has the only real experience with an AD on here. Lazlo is right. The original discussion about the design is interesting and helpful. (and it is his idea) I wondered if there were any other AD 14's. Btw I like some of Devlin's designs. Little Petrel is one of them. The extra foot is really going to pay off. Making the leap to the 1 + sheets of plywood for length doesn't seem like much but if plywood were 9 ft. long, every dingy design would be 9 ft. long. You have got to finish the petrel.

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo »

It was Jacques' idea, we just made suggestions

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Bondo,

Thanks for the encouragement to finish the Petrel. BTW I am not building he Little Petrel, but the Micro Petrel this saved me from having to scarf plywood on my first boat building experience. Being retired from my job as IT manager I can spend all my time building if I would not have to cart my wife to libraries, shops and other appointments besides tending the garden.
This left me nevertheless a lot of time and I should be finished in 3 weeks time. Tommorrow is the big day for glassing the outside hull. ( Start was on 16th May with taking the first photos of cut plywood panels. The Micro Petrel should be finished the latest by 31st of july . If we would not have had 3 weeks of tropical temperatures unusual for Austria and Middle Europe i could have done the fiber glas job already. )

I first printed the studyplans of Adelie 14 in 2005 as well as the D4 design of Jaques Mertens, but knew that it was a dream of the future.
I am just glad to start building this Year for sure, hope to finish it within 1 1/2 Years and will be dreaming at the same time of building the next bigger boat on which I will be able to use the Micro Petrel as a tender on the foredeck.

I cant believe that Your launch date is not close, because all You need is finish the rigging and away You go.
Or is your mast still in the making ?

Carry on doing such an exemple job on your boat. It is a pleasure to see any new photos of it.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

At last the plans for my AD 14 have arrived and now starts the ordering of the Okoume marine plywood.

Unfortunately here in Europe it is difficult to order such quality wood panels. The fact is that there are only 2 suplliers in Germany ( Daniel Georgus offers 8x4 ' and Sommerfeld & Thiele 10x5 ' ) and they are both 800 KM away from me.
That I can compare their offers I have to first draw a new nesting plan for 10 x 5 foot sheets.

Has anybody out there done such a redrawing of the nesting plan for an AD14/16, because I believe in the US you also get the big panels ?

It sets me back a few days, but on my test boat building projekt Micro-Petrel I am also behind plan.
Right now I am fairing and sanding and fairing again and sanding again, but I hope I can put the primer paint on during next week.

Weekends I dont build on the boat because my family is not to keen on my boatbuilding activities and therefore I calm them Saturdays with the traditional barbecue.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )