UK D5

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
John D Wiilimann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

UK D5

Post by John D Wiilimann »

Well, first boat being built, second message to this forum...

I guess, that's what we call a green horn.

Anyway, posted a few pictures on http://www.thus.ch/~jd/sailing/D5/FrameSet.htm

I'm finding out that things are taking me a long time on the other hand I'm having a lot of fun and learning a great deal in the process.

Right time to go to bed, got a lot to do tomorrow.
John
bateau-webmaster wrote: John, the website you used to post your pictures is now defunct, so I put the pics into a gallery on imgur for you:
Imgur Album

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

It's looking good John. Keep up the good work. I started my GF-16 about two weeks ago and have made some progress, I have a few photos under the builders gallery under the screen name robbiro. I hope to post more in the next day or so. As the other builders have told me, take it one step at a time and break every big job down into smaller tasks. Keep Building!!
Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

Great work John, soon the real fun starts. Sanding all of it down! WElcome to the community

John D Wiilimann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks a lot for the encouragement :)

So far, so good. It's great to build like this, in fact I'm going back now to apply some resin.

Hopefully more pictures soon.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Shaping up well! I see your inverted and stitched hull picture was posted Dec 6, 2006. How do you do that? Does that mean it isn't *really* stitched until December? I'll be finished before you! :lol:

John D Wiilimann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hahaha! KS8, I'm going to sail in this boat before I actually stitch it. :D

Just shows how things are different on this continent.

The boat wont have any color but some colour. ;)

BTW, it seems that I'm going to have to chuck paint brushes every time I use epoxy. Is this the usual way or is there some secret trick to clean them up?

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

John D Wiilimann wrote:BTW, it seems that I'm going to have to chuck paint brushes every time I use epoxy. Is this the usual way or is there some secret trick to clean them up?
Life is too short to remove epoxy from brushes... Here in the States we can buy 2-inch brushes from big home center stores for about $1 each, or even less sometimes. Throwing them away after one use feels like waste, but it sure is better than cleaning them.

John D Wiilimann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks Rick. I've certainly figured out that there is not much hope for these brushes.

Right, will have to buy all the brushes from my local DIY shop. :D

This is all adding up to the cost, there's no way my D5 will be under $200 :lol:

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

One thing that I figured out by building my CC is that it costs as much for acetone to clean the brush as the brush costs, if not more. Chip brushes are cheap. :D
CC, D15, V10

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

John D Wiilimann wrote:This is all adding up to the cost, there's no way my D5 will be under $200 :lol:
With friendly discounts on plywood, glass, and epoxy, our Boy Scout troop built seven NC16 canoes for just about $211 each, including the construction materials and all shop supplies like sanding disks, gloves, and brushes. I know some folks spend less, but they are obviously much better shoppers than I am.