PK78 Ready for Sail

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

PK78 Ready for Sail

Post by MadRus »

Hi,

I got my sewing machine back and finally got everything rigged for sailing next chance I get. Below are pictures...

PK78 set up for sail and oars. Sail is homemade according to the included sail plan. Spars are douglas fir and the rudder and DB are pine. So is the tiller handle.

Only took me two years to finish all the extra stuff- sail, spars, rudder, dagger board and tiller. Yikes. I better love this whole sailing thing!

Edit: recovered images from archive.org:
Imgur Album

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Q »

Verrrrryyy NICE! :D
I now know without a doubt or hesitation why the chicken crossed the road.....

....it was to show the armadillo it could be done.

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

Very pretty! Love the color.

Congratulations
Huck

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

The old saying is once a sailor always a sailor. Good luck on the launch and enjoy! I really like the colors it is very similar to the Morgan 28/30 that my wifes parents owned. That boat could fly.

We still have a Mirror Dinghy sitting outside that we do not use and needs some work. I've just gotten to big to sail it.

Good luck again at the launch and really take pride in the beautiful boat you have built.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

Looks great, and boy was that fast. It took me about a month to handsew my sail. I've got to get one of them newfangled machines that sew.

If you're looking to do keep doing more, one fun addition is to put delrin in the mast partner and mast step to help the mast rotate. I wrote a bit about that here.

I can't wait to see some pictures of it underway!

navyarkangel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by navyarkangel »

Boat looks awesome!!! Good job on the sail!

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Beautiful job! Cool little beach cart, too. Learning to sail in a dinghy is the best way to go. You'll love it.
CC, D15, V10

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Thanks everyone, and I do hope I love sailing. I probably will because I like rowing and paddling and moving at a slow pace once in a while.

I've always liked the color too, it's S3 Orcas White custom tinted by HD after about an hour of talking to the manager.

Jeremy,

I'd like to do something like that, but I don't even know what delrin is. Can you give me a hint where I might score some?

-Dave

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

I like the color of your boat a lot too. I bet you can't wait to sail her.

Delrin is a plastic. The generic name is acetyl. I got mine from onlinemetals.com. I bought a round, I think maybe 4". Natural color and probably only about 2" long. It's not the cheapest stuff, but you don't need much.

To make the part that fits in the mast partner, I drilled a hole the size of the mast using a hole saw on a drill press. Then, I routed out a rabbet to make it mushroom shaped so it would fit in the mast partner hole. I also rounded off the top for so it wouldn't be quite as uncomfortable to sit on. Then, I just stuck it in the hole with some 4200.

I used a 1/4" or so piece from the part that I drilled out to use in the mast step. I sanded it roughly convex and stuck it in the step with 4200 as well.

The delrin machines very easily, but it's slippery and hard to hold onto with clamps so be careful.

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Okay, good tips, I'll check it out. It does give it that finished touch doesn't it. Thanks Jeremy.

Actually, I owe you and bunch of others a huge thanks, Kurt, Charlie, Rick, KS and I'm sure I'm missing folks, and I'm sorry for that, but the small boat builders have been more than generous with their time and consideration on my PK78 project. Thanks again.