Montana built D5

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bratzcpa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Montana built D5

Post by bratzcpa »

Well . . . some significant progress at last. Instead of just cutting out "seemingly" random shapes, we have the shape of a boat!!! very very interesting how it all comes together.

We had trouble figuring out where to put the seat supports/frames on the inside, but in the end, put them there temporarily and then adjusted as the shape took form.

One very important hint - - DON'T TRY TO DO THIS BY YOURSELF - - - you simply don't have enough hands. 8O

I have pictures, but can't seem to figure out how to attach them! :doh:

~markb

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Montana built D5

Post by gstanfield »

You could e-mail them to me if you want and I'd be happy to post them for you. The other option is to resize them to 640x480 (or anything around there) and host them online either at this site's gallery or a place like photobucket, etc. then select the picture, right click and select properties. Copy the URL for the pic then go to your post. Click the "img" button and then past the url between the set of "img" brackets.

That's the rough and dirty version, but again I'd be happy to help post them if you just want to e-mail them to me.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

bratzcpa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bratzcpa »

Hey, this sorta looks like a boat!

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looking good! We need a few more rocky mountain guys and we can have a high country builder's meet :D

bratzcpa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bratzcpa »

Hey george - I ran into a guy on here the other day that lives just south of Missoula (in Lolo). So that's 3 of us now so far!!!

8)

mark

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Sweet! Earlier today I was driving through an alley and saw an empty bucket of "two part marine foam" in some guys backyard. I really wanted to knock on his door and ask but figured it best not to since I was on duty :lol:

There's also a fairly large group of builders down in CO, some bateau and some others but still enough for a gathering if we branched out a bit 8)

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

The D5 looks like it's coming along nice.
George, are there other Bateau builders in Colorado? It would be cool to have a Rocky Mountain Builders Meet. :D

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Paul there's a guy I spoke to in Ft Collins who built a FL12 and another guy on the west slope (Craig I think) who was building an FS17 but he was only on the board for a few days and I havn't heard from him since :doh: As far as I know you built the largest bateau in this area, but then again who knows what ahs been built and not shared on the forum :!:

I've almost convinced the local game warden to build the HC16 canoe, but he's still stalling as of now.

On that note, I found that one of my local lumberyards up in Casper can get marine ply without any extra shipping charges, but it will come on their next truck which may be a week or a month out. It still opens up the possibilities and cuts me down to a 70 mile round trip instead of 500 mile :D

They have an annual woodenboat messabout in the Boulder area, in fact last eyar they had two of them. While they may not be bateau designs it's still a get together and I'll be at the next one 8)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Mark, didn't mean to hijack your build thread. I just got excited about some more builders in this part of the world :!:

bratzcpa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bratzcpa »

No worries about the alleged "hijack".

This is supposed to be about fun, and making some new friends, and learning some new things . . . so, all is good as far as I can tell!

I have been wanting to get back to the project, but tons of other junk in the way right now. Currently working on a tiling project in bathroom- putting in a big "soaker" tub. Fortunately (??) it's super crappy outside now, so don't have much of the normal "spring urge" going on. In fact, yesterday, we had a couple of inches of snow. :x Not a good thing for late April.

Tomorrow night, I think we'll flip it over and start putting the putty and few inside corners.

I had "wanted" to do it outside on patio so the whole house wouldn't smell so badly (from the resin). I haven't opened up this new batch, but I remember from years ago when I built a cedar strip canoe, the fiberglass resin odor was VERY strong. But being that it's only 40 degrees out that might not be such a "hot" idea!! grin

mark