D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
nickbob00
New Poster
New Poster

D5 Build

Post by nickbob00 »

Hello All

I am currently working on my first boat, a D5.

I've just finished stitching the frame to the sides and the bottom together. Construction will continue when I have bought some epoxy so hold on! I used 5.5mm and 9mm WBP plywood, I'm hoping it will stay together. I'm planning on building the spritsail version. I ended up using panel pins to fix each of the frames between the two sides after finding my brown tape to be of extraordinarily poor quality.

I am slightly worried that some of my frames have been put in a bit wonky. They are not yet fixed permanently so I plan on fixing them before I epoxy them.

I'll try to keep this thread up to date in case anyone else is interested.

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

It looks like you are off to a good start. Even if the frames are a bit wonky, you have tome to fix that before you set them in epoxy and fibreglass.
Shaun
(B.O.B. = Builder Of Boats)

nickbob00
New Poster
New Poster

Post by nickbob00 »

I had another go today and it turns out that the reason for the frames not fitting quite right are twofold: firstly, I was installing them at the wrong lengths along the boat and secondly, two of them were cut to the wrong sizes! I stitched the bottoms to the sides, bow and stern and reinstalled the frames and now it looks a lot better and the measurements that matter (distance between the B and C frames for the keel) are within a few mm. Upon tightening the stitches the gaps between each panel shrunk to about 3-5mm at their largest points so once the epoxy is added and set it should be very well..

philipCH
New Poster
New Poster

Post by philipCH »

We built a D5 last year with a sprit sail and have been sailing it this year.
The plan was not clear on how it should be rigged, so if you figure it out let me know.
Thanks, Phil

tlscott
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tlscott »

Don't know if your still lurking around on this site. I'm building a D5 and got the free plans but can't figure out the bottom and panel measurements. If you re-call and are interested in advising let me know.

tks
Terry