Wade's GV10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Wade's GV10

Post by wadestep »

Started over this Memorial Day weekend on a GV10. I picked this boat for my 3rd build because 1) I already have a 9.9hp motor 2) I expect it will fit between the wheel wells of our Toyota Tundra 3) I functionally like the design - I don't expect it to be a beautiful boat, but it looks like it will maximize the potential of 95 lbs and 10 feet. It's important to me that Robin and I can lift it in/out of a truck bed.
My eventual hopes for it is to throw it in the truck and take off to some long, winding river. (ie Suwannee or St. Johns in FL, Satilla in S. Georgia, etc...) I'd like to bring enough gas, food and camping gear for 3-4 nights and run up/down a river for 100 miles or so. Fishing, camping, etc... I also live on a large canal system and on the Caloosahatchee River, so it should be frequently used for bumping around with a rum drink in the evenings.
As such, I modified the plans so that (hopefully) the rear and forward seats are the same level. This messes up the 4-sheet nesting, but luckily I have enough ply left over from the OB19 to make it happen. The goal here is to be able to lay a board or two between the seats and have enough room to lay down and sleep if required. We'll see...

On Sat, I measured and marked out the dimensions, then had my resident engineer double check everything.
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Wade's GV10

Post by wadestep »

more measuring
On Sun, I cut the wood, discovering that I am much better with a jig saw than a circular saw when cutting even gradual curves.
Sun afternoon, I spliced together one side of the hull sides and bottom.
Then Mon they were ready to flip over and tape the other side of the splice. I used fast epoxy for this, so by 3pm Mon I was ready to make it look like a boat. I used blocking to screw the panels together - both transoms and the frames between.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Nice little project, I like the idea of a small boat for exporing the rivers!
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

The last picture there shows the current status. I was hoping to get it all stitched together and tack welded this weekend, but it's not to be. Anyways, this is a little different than building on a jig. The entire boat can easily get out of alignment at this point, with no strongback to keep it true. Also, I started by screwing the bow transom to the side panels, and that just didn't work well. So, I reverted back to using the zip-ties as per the plans. Also, the fiberglass splices in the bottom panels look like they will take a lot of force to bend to meet the bow transom. therefore, I wanted to give it another day or two for the epoxy to cure before stressing them that much.
Also, since the boat can easily become a rhomboid at this stage, I'm gong to follow the plans and after dry-stitching it together, I'll flip it and use the crossed-strings method to make sure it's square before tack-welding or glassing anything into place.
BTW - these plans are excellent, well written, and thourough. Thanks Evan.
wade

Spcmnspff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Spcmnspff »

Haha wade, we're building the same boat!

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47571

You're going to be ahead of me - Which is perfect. This is my first. Ill be using you as a reference. :wink:
Sean

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

BBV has struck again :P
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Cracker Larry wrote:BBV has struck again
Yes sir! If it weren't for my crazy work schedule here in our 'season', it might have even been sooner - 7 months without building was a long time. SWMBO might tell you different. :roll:
Spcmnspff wrote:You're going to be ahead of me - Which is perfect. This is my first. Ill be using you as a reference.
Welcome to the disease! I just replied on your thread before seeing this one. Glad to see another GV10 being built. When building the OB19 I followed closely in Steven's footsteps, at least until after the deck was laid down. It does help, feel free to ask any questions you might have. I picked it for very similar reasons you did. My plan is to use this boat as a real knockaround boat - I'm going to be glassing the exterior, graphite on the bottom under paint for heat/UV purposes, and workboat finish inside. That's the plan anyways. This one should be a piece of cake compared to the O19. The fact that you can flip it back and forth is much easier also.
wade

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Cracker Larry wrote:BBV has struck again :P
After a breakout it lays dormant for a while, but you still have it :) Wade had a very quick relapse after the OB19

nice to see another one going together :!:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Great to see you back at it Wade! Lookin good. I do like the GV10. It's a cool little boat, and perfect for the south GA rivers.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Looking good Wade :) A skiff hauled in a pickup truck bed sounds great. How much will she weigh?
Edit...I see it now, 95 lbs. That is great 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146