Baba’s FL14: MadMax in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Baba’s FL14: MadMax in Toronto

Post by baba101 »

Everybody thinks I have gone crazy¦.and sometimes I wonder if I really have¦ this virtual community of boat builders is not real¦¦well I am going to find out¦stay tuned as Baba starts his first Boat building project.

:roll: Quick history: (How did this happen¦?)

I would have to blame my ex-boss Martin¦he showed me this website and talked about the Stitch and glue method for building boats: sounded easy, so I started lurking on http://boatplans-online.com ¦.reading discussion forums¦just being invisible. Two years later.. realized that I had become an addict¦I had to build a boat or I would go crazy. God Damn it¦Here I am¦

Don™t know anything about boats¦never really been in one either¦I have seen people in em ¦and its looks kinda fun. That™s about it¦oh and another thing¦I am not a handy man either¦until six months ago¦I had never even used a drill machine. If I fail this project I will be letting down the geeks of the world¦.Well that just ain™t gonna happen.

:!: Target Start Date: April 1st 2006 (still too cold here)
:!: Target Finish Date May 1st 2007.

:D Preparations so far:
I have a mental picture of how œMadMax 1
Last edited by baba101 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:00 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Hi Baba! As you've discovered by now, this is not so much a hobby as a disease...! :lol:

Thanks for the kind words - :oops: - not sure they're deserved, but if I can help, just ask via the forum or direct by my email link.

Best of luck with your build - just take your time and you'll be fine. Enjoy!
Don't forget to post pics of your progress.

Cheers from Oz,
Mike
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

gunner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gunner »

Good luck. I have a similar strt date planned. I believe at this time I will build the OD16 as it is the boat that addicted me to the site. I also priced plywood at Noahs but I plan to do as you did and get the fiberglass kit here. I have motor/ trailer and an old bowrider that is too long in the tooth to be a practical repair. My present assests will let me get into the boatbuilding again at a minimum investment for the first boat.

We are in the same area. lets keep in touch and good luck!

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Baba you've got it bad, man. You're already making promises to the wife- excellent. Welcome to the ward.

You'll do fine. Patience is key, and use everyone here if you run into problems.

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

The weather is pretty warm in Torornto for this time of year...so picked up the Meranti BS6566. Thought I'd get a head start...

4 hours to scribe the dimensions

and another 4 hours to cut the pieces

This ply splintered quite badly when cutting across the grains..changing to different types of Jig Saw blades did not help. Finally applying hocky tape to the cut lines worked...here is the mug shot of the splintered cuts (done without Hocky Tape).

I found this ply to be too light and fragile...

.....No believers in the family yet... :roll:

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Good to see you've started, Baba! 8)
It is easy to splinter any plywood with a jigsaw when cutting across the grain - it needs a fine toothed blade and a fairly slow, steady cut to avoid doing this, and even then it sometimes happens. (I used a metal blade rather than a wood blade because it has much finer teeth). Don't worry about it - the edges will all be covered with epoxy and glass tape, anyway!

Looking forward to more pics....

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

Good progress Baba. reminds me of me about a year ago. Rick

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Thanks Rick and Mike....

Brushes with attitude....topless and grounded...trimmed the tops and added epoxy to the bottom.

Yours Truly...not taking any chances with epoxy or the cold winter nights of Toronto...
:Image

Long panels are now bonded...kept thinking about peanut butter consistency...looked more like melted Toffee when I applied it...I don't know if it was too much or too little...

Sanded the sides, wiped with tissue dipped in Ocetone, dried and then applied epoxy resin followed by the toffee glue...

About 7 hours for all this and clean up...also includes a child lock I installed to the Garage entrance ...:lol
Last edited by baba101 on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Baba,

It looks like you are epoxy coating the panels before assembly - you might find it difficult to bend the panels if you do this.

Mike

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Emmmm....I had like 0.5 OZ of resin left in the jar...thought I would just apply it on a few inches of the panel...but the thing just kept on spreading... :oops:

Should I sand it down...?