Inshallah - OD16 Splashed Today!!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Inshallah - OD16 Splashed Today!!!

Post by DrBones »

I can't believe it...I started building on May 27, 2003. Now, today - May 7, 2006, the "Inshallah" has seen the waters I built it for!

A friend of mine, who has a vehicle w/a hitch (I had to sell mine last year and haven't put a hitch on the new car yet), was nice enough to offer up his car to tow it down to Fort St. Marks boat ramp. For testing, I went up the Wakulla river..then down the river again, perhaps a mile or two beyond the boat ramp. Just 'putsed' around in the water.

Well, I'm amazed, happy, 'n dazed! I put her in the water, the engine (a used '87 Johnson 40hp I had only tested in a barrel) after some fooling around with the choke and getting it warm, ran like a champ. So, much so - that after running it almost to empty from the 4 gallons I had in there, we tanked up another 5 gallons at Shields Marina (at $3.30/gallon!!!) and went out again!

I'm glad I put the Doel Fins hydrofoil on. I did that after several builders recommended that. The Inshallah jumps out of the water to plane in no time and handles just great. The GPS read 23mph, and later on, when the engine was run warm, I'm sure I reached 25/26mph with it. Fast enough for my taste! I didn't have any problems w/porpoising, although at full speed the boat is 'tender' in the sense that you have to make sure your weight is distributed evenly, as otherwise the spray will hit you. We were four in the boat - my son, my buddy and his girlfriend, and myself of course :P

As to the scuppers (simple flapper valves), yes, some water comes in...but nothing that worries me actually. I'm going to have to caulk/seal the underside of the rubber rubrail that goes around the bow though. It was funny how the spray squirted between it and the wooden rubrail, right through and into the boat when you are getting on plane!

Only slight 'downside' was when I pulled the boat back on the trailer: I hit the damn dock w/a heartwrenching crunch, and then I hit one of my guide poles, that just have PVC elbows glued to the trailer frame. That, of course broke off! LOL - I knew that was to happen sooner or later. I guess it's sooner now :P - I also had to back the trailer back in the water to get the boat on evenly. I'm going to have to come up w/side guides/rollers to get it on evenly on the first go.

Turns out the crunch to the starboard side, towards the bow, happened right where the panels join..and it 'dented' the panel about 1/8" in - The way it sounded, I was looking for a hole on the inside! Either way, it didn't bother me as much as my friends who just gasped. I knew that anything is repairable! Nothing that a little epoxy, fiberglass and elbowwax can't heal!

The most nerve wracking thing though was getting the boat on the trailer, I can tell you that. The next time, I'm just going to line it up straight 30' off, gun it and kill the engine and hope for the best. The damn drifting, slow speed, and then stalled engine was what did me in. I figured the boat was so light that I could pull it on the trailer, just didn't count weaving side to side, and hitting the damn dock in the end! :P

Oh yeah...we caught the rain on the way back. I guess that helped wash some of the saltwater off the boat. I still need to flush the engine, but I'll do that tomorrow..or if the rain ceases today before it gets dark.

Well, I'm happy! :) :) :) :)

..oh yea, boat also got some fish scales, blood and ...err 'crap' from a damn lady fish my buddy caught! - That was about it. I didn't do much fishing..I was just happy :P

Yes, yes...I'll also post the pics as soon as my buddy sends them to me!

CHarris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CHarris »

Great job Doc!!! I know you must be real proud to finally get her in the water.
Don't worry about the dings, I've already hit the dock while getting back on the trailer myself. I went to West Marine and bought a set of PVC guide poles to help get it on the trailer. They really help alot.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Congrats on a job well done!!!

Chris
OD18

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

Nice to hear you finally hit the water. I've got plenty of dings and scratches on my GF18. About 2 months ago I put a REAL NICE scratch down 3 quarters of my port side. I was coming in between some islands when it was pitch dark and hit a tree that Wilma had blown in the water.

But better a boat that's used than one that isn't.

Of course, we can't wait to see some pictures... :)

Jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Congrats.
The St Marks can get quite a little current running on an outgoing tide.
Battle scars, blood, guts, thunderstorm. Sounds like a good day :wink:
CC, D15, V10

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Thanks guys! :)

Here the pics...

That's me putting the Inshallah in the water...w/my hat still on. :P

Cruising to shore to get the crew

Lost the hat :oops:

My buddy who let me use his Fourrunner to tow the Inshallah, his girlfriend and my son!

Stripedbass-2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OD16

Post by Stripedbass-2 »

Doc, glad to see you completed the boat. I have been thinking of a dole fin as the front runs higher than I would have liked and am runing out of other options. Let me know how the boat runs with the fin under different conditions.
Mark
Tired of fishing? Buiild a boat and it will be fun

gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gpratt »

Congratulations Doc!

I'm glad you're enjoying your new boat.

Looking forward to the pictures.

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

...oh, yeah: THANKS Jacques! U da' MAN!!!

..yeah, I know I had the front weighted down nicely. It's going to be interesting to see how she handles w/o that weight..or less weight. I don't think it will be much different though. I don't know much about boats, but going on plane, she never felt like she wanted to go nose up. It was more of a righting her stern ...sort of like adjusting one's pants :P

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

Congratulations Doc! Well done. It is a great feeling that you will not forget.

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

Doc I envy you, I hope that my boat comes out as nice as yours