Vagabond 23 building in Kansas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
KansasBuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Vagabond 23 building in Kansas

Post by KansasBuilder »

I started my Vagabond 23 about March 1st.
It is of course taking longer than expected, but isn't that to be expected?

This picture is a couple of weeks old, but at least I have some evidence that I'm building:

The bulkheads are dry fit in this picture. I have some modifications, but no bulkhead have been moved or reduced. You can see the bridgedeck, also bulkhead E is cut high for additional counterspace on the starboard side, (now the boat only sleeps 3).

Right now I'm glassing the inside, next I'll tab in the stringers & bulkheads.

Does anyone have thoughts about puting an FB11 dink on the foredeck of a V23? Consider:

1) The dink nests to L 5'5" x B 4'2" x H 1'6" and mine weighs maybe 80lb?
2) The V23 will cruise around 3,800lb, has 3'0" of freeboard and a flush deck, distance between mast & stem is 9' and I intend to use a high-cut jib. With the dink on there, the deck space will be only around 6" on each side at the bottleneck.
3) I know it fits, but because of weight, windage, visiblity, working space on the foredeck... I'm not sure if it is smart for both coastal & offshore cruising.

What do you guys think? I'm die hard about a hard dinghy.

KansasBuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

VG23 flipped over

Post by KansasBuilder »

I flipped my Vagabond 23 this last weekend. I did it solo and it took me over 16 hours. I have no idea how it took that long or how to account for what I was doing each hour.

I flipped it a bit prematurely: the deck is not yet clothed over on the top, and the cockpit still needs some work, but I was determined to flip the thing so I went ahead anyway.

I used 2 carjacks, a come along and a block and tackle, my pickup (as an anchor weight and to push the boat back into the garage), and lots of 2x4s for supports to catch it if it fell. It didn't.

Once I had it up on a corner and it was balanced, the idea came to me to hang a plumb bob to find the Center of Gravity of the hull (this is without the keel, and no outer fiberglass). It is about 6" below the level of the cockpit seats. Not bad for an accountant huh? Add 1,100 pounds of lead and I think it will be below the waterline (I'll have to calculate that sometime).

I posted some pictures in my builders gallery and a couple show the offshore cockpit. It is still missing the bridgedeck top piece (the seat), but the bulkhead and support timbers are in place.
Also the skirt conversion is not entirely complete. I did add the new transom/bulkhead. It is 3 layers of 9mm (1 1/8") where visible (and where the rudder will hang) and 2 layers of 9mm beneath the seats where not visible. Seems strong. I still need to create the V shaped notch and add lots of draining. I'm thinking 2 down low for the footwell, and 2 up high at the seat level. Sitting in the cockpit does feel secure with the seatbacks and the new transom, it would be hard to fall out.

I was influenced by Justin (Just Right, VG20) to make both the new and the old transom 3 layers of 9mm thick (2 in some spots), and I also borrowed the idea for an off center hatch on the foredeck. For me this saved material and puts the extra headroom where a person would enter and exit the berth.

It is now time to add the second layer of plywood to the bottom, build the keel and centerboard box, and cover with fiberglass.

Here is the link to my builder gallery:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=457

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Coming along nicely. She rolls over. Does she heel and speak? :P

The *Offshore cockpit* picture gives a nice perspective, I imagine to the third reef on the sail! 8O

Happy glassing!

davekf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by davekf »

Hi KansasBuilder... your boat pics are impressive. How is it coming along? I'm considering the VG23 to build and I would be very interested in seeing your work as it progresses. Do you have any more pics to show off? :D

thanks
Dave

KansasBuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by KansasBuilder »

The boat is in storage and I haven't done much more since the last pictures. I believe Andrew Lucking's website/blog has some pictures of his boat further along (find the link here in the "Builder's Sail Boats" section).

I've had to move 3 times for my job in less than a year, and I move again in a few months, so I put it in storage. It'll be a while before my job (military) lets me get back to work on my boat.

davekf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by davekf »

Yea, I read Andrew L.'s blog. He has done a fine job on his boat as well.

Sorry to hear your boat's in storage, but your work is for a good cause and much appreciated.

thanks
Dave

irakli
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by irakli »

Hi everybody!

Could anyone give the link of that blog?

Thanks.
Irakli

Lowerbound
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lowerbound »

irakli wrote:Hi everybody!

Could anyone give the link of that blog?

Thanks.
Irakli
This seems to be it:

http://www.andrewlucking.com/archives/category/boat/

--LB
FL12

JohnMc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sail

Post by JohnMc »

Hello, It is great to see these sailboats coming together!
KansasBuilder-- will you be making the FL meet?
As well as everyone that responded here? (all building JM sailboats :) )
I'm building the SB18 and look forward to talking with other Bateau Sailboat builders :!: Keep posting, all this information is making my build easier & easier.

"The bridge need only be crossed but once"
Dan Fogelberg
Thanks
JohnMc
SB18