GV17 in Brisbane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Gary Harms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GV17 in Brisbane

Post by Gary Harms »

I've started my GV17. :D

I' must try to remember to take photos and post them in the gallery. A couple showing the strongback and molds have been posted. Link below.

GV 17 Album

Gary

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Hey, Gary - nice workshop you've got there! Clean floor, too - but don't worry, it will soon be covered with epoxy drips! :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with the build.

Mike
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

CT_Mart
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CT_Mart »

Gary,
Noticed your photo of your GV11 underway. Any more photos of the finished boat? I like the paint scheme and center console. Curious to see a little more detail since I also went with remote steering om my GV11.
Marty

Gary Harms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary Harms »

Marty,

I'll take a couple of more photos of my GV11 tomorrow and post them up.

Gary

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Gary..nice clean start.
One observation...you WILL want to get to the inside as you work on the shell. You may want to raise the strongback some before it get's too heavy.
Good Luck

Gary Harms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary Harms »

JASmine,

Thanks for the tip. I was just thinking the other day if I would need to get under the boat before turning the hull over. I'll take your advise and assume I have to, so up it comes!

Marty... I've posted some more pictures of my GV11 and details of the console I built.

Gary

CT_Mart
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CT_Mart »

Gary,
Nice job on the GV11. I knew you were modifying it some but you really added alot to the design. Is the transom painted white or does it match the sides? My GV11 is still unpainted because as I'm using and have come up with some minor changes I want to make. Plan to paint it in a few weeks and I might adapt your paint scheme except using blue and white. Since I car top it I didn't want to paint the bottom a darker blue but following your layout I think it will work. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll post some photos when I finish painting.
Marty

Gary Harms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary Harms »

Marty,

My paint scheme is:

Non Skid Sole: Smoke Ash
Topsides and Interior: White
Sides:Maroon
Transom: Outboard clamping board - Maroon, Lower Section - Sand
Bottom and Bow Transom: Sand

I happy with the result and will use the same scheme for my GV17, except I will most likely do the topsides in "Sand".

Gary

Gary Harms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary Harms »

More progress, bottom and side panels have been joined and stitched in place on jig. Now for some "spot welds". Pictures have been posted, link below.

GV 17 Album

I would have been at this point sooner, except I joined one of the bottom panels the wrong way, :? which was just plain dumb. I had marked each panel with keel, bow etc. and just ignored it when joining one panel.

Anyway all fixed now and it looks good all stitched. :D

Gary

Gary Harms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary Harms »

All seams have now been taped and fibreglass applied to half the bottom. Pictures have been posted, link below.

GV 17 Album

Hopefully will finish the other half tomorrow.

Gary