Building the GF18 with sole and center console

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Amerville
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Building the GF18 with sole and center console

Post by Amerville »

Ok I have cut out the transoms, stringers, frames, bottom, casting deck. I am laying out the sides and have a question.

The plans show measuring 101 1/8, then it shows a 7/8' offset then 22 1/4 from the offset to the bottom, move over typ. 24", a 3/4" offset then 23" from the offset to the bottom. I have layed it out that way :help: but do I cut off the 7/8", 3/4", and so on as a cruve to the front of the boat?
GF 18 CC with Sole, First time builder.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It is alll measured above the baseline and from the same baseline.
For example, where you see 7/8 and 22-1/4, you first measure 7/8, mark the point and then measure again 22-1/4 from the same baseline, same starting point, NOT from the 7/8 point.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Amerville
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Amerville »

Thanks, let me see if I got that right. you measure 7/8" from edge of plywood mark a point. Then you mearsure 22 1/4" from the edge of the plywood and mark the point.

:help: So what is the 7/8' point for?

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

Don't know your boat, but it's gotta be a point on the curve on the edge of your finished boat panel. You will draw TWO curves with a batten, one on each side of the panel. If I'm wrong, you'll hear screams shortly.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

Amerville
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Amerville »

Lon,

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines as you but I sure hate to cut off the curve and find out later it was suppose to stay.

BTW, my last name is Underhill also, great to see the Underhill's building boats.

I thought I had this whole plans thing figured out, boy was I wrong. These are the best plans I have ever seen, I guess I am just a little dense.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

:help: So what is the 7/8' point for?
For the second side. That panel edge is not the edge of the plywood, at that point it is 7/8" away from it. Look again, there is a line there.

Amerville
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Amerville »

Thank you for spending so much time with me on this. I am still confused. Let me put it in my terms and see if I am correct. I have glued the side panel with butt blocks. I now have one long panel. At 101 1/8" I measure from the edge of the plywood and mark a point 7/8" from the edge. Also I measure from the edge of the plywood 22 1/4" and mark a point. I do this per the plans all the way to the bow. I use a pvc pipe and bend a curve around the 22 1/4" and the other points to the bow. I cut along this line for the for the boats chime curve.

:help: Do I draw anothe curve at the 7/8" point to the bow following the other points on the plans and cut that curve out also.

Also you talked about the second side, I am not for sure what you mean.

I am sorry to cause you so much time on this but I do understand, not your plans, they are great, I just can not figure it out.

Thanks

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The red line is what you cut = the edge of the panel.
The white line is the edge of the plywood sheet from which you measure.

Amerville
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Amerville »

You are the best. Duh, was I stupid.

Amerville
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Amerville »

Over Lapped FG tape question
http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-9638

Can anyone answer this question for me. I am splicing the bottom panels and not for sure what 2 layers mean.

Also the plans say 2" staggered, does that mean each fg layer tape edge extends 1" on either side of the plywood seam or each fg tape layer edge extends 2" on each side of the plywood seam. As always I am confused.

thanks