CH16 - Turbo Cayuco: The Next Phase

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gepineda
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CH16 - Turbo Cayuco: The Next Phase

Post by gepineda »

I finally started building it yesterday. TimF managed to get some plywood boards from the island into the Vancouver lower mainland.

The cutting went on without major problems. All of it with, the exception of the curved tips of the bottom panels, was done with a circular saw. It does fair lines considerable quicker than the jigsaw. For the tips I did use the jigsaw.

After I had cut all the pieces, I realized I forgot to mark the places where the forming batens or molds will go. So tonight I'll have to measure and mark those and then I'll do the fiberglass splicing.

Originally I was contemplating doing a NC16, but the CH16 is so much better looking. One of the things that I found attractive is that all the stitching on the NC16 can be done with duct tape. How feasable is it to do the stitching (or even a portion of it) on the CH16 with Duct tape? I bought a thick roll of the "Toughest Tape on the Planet": Gorilla tape. I'm thinking it may be good enough to stitch most parts, but I have my doubts on whether it'll be able to hold the bows together. Any thoughts?
BTW, excuse the annoying specks on the picture. I think these are saw dust particles floating around in the air. I should have used a dust mask. I think there was no permanent damage becauses my sense of taste and smell are slowly coming back. :P

Cayuco Gallery
Last edited by gepineda on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

rudar
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rudar »

Lookin' good. Unfortunately I missed you at TimF's place. He suggested 10am, and rather than complain, I dragged myself out of bed at such an ungodly hour. Then found out he was going to be kicking his heels waiting for you for near an hour :). Should have complained and slept in...

I haven't started my CC yet. Customs is still delaying clearance on my epoxy order for reasons unknown :( But I'll probably swing by the home despot on Wednesday anyway for a saw blade, and boat-yard tent materials. Get a start on that, and scribing/ cutting the wood, at least.

'course, all this waiting is making me wonder whether I should ditch the `get it ready by mid-october' part of the program (ha!) and order plans for a 12' Hiawatha instead...

gepineda
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gepineda »

Lookin' good. Unfortunately I missed you at TimF's place. He suggested 10am, and rather than complain, I dragged myself out of bed at such an ungodly hour. Then found out he was going to be kicking his heels waiting for you for near an hour :). Should have complained and slept in...
Sorry about that. Tim was a kind enough to wait for me while I got there.

As to the customs ordeal, I set up a box with mailboxes international. They charge $10 per year and $2 per package, but the difference in shipping charges from Jaques' store more than made up for it. And to top it all the border guard allowed me to come back into Canada without paying any taxes. I just told him I'd gone over to the US to get some resin for a canoe I was building and he didn't even flinch, he just waved me in.

Mail Boxes International
1685 H Street Suite 330
Blaine, WA 98230
Bus: (360) 332-7678
Bus Fax: (360) 332-7679

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

And to top it all the border guard allowed me to come back into Canada without paying any taxes. I just told him I'd gone over to the US to get some resin for a canoe I was building and he didn't even flinch, he just waved me in.
That is what I have heard from all the other guys who drove south to get ther materials. Free trade, imagine that :D

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Having done this a LOT over the past year (same mailboxes international). I think the $ value where you have to go and pay taxes is > $60 CDN or so.

Customs guy: "How much is that anchor worth?"

Evan: "Uh, $50" (33 lb. aluminum Spade) :wink:

Customs guy: "O.k. go ahead"
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Congradulations on joining the Chenoa club! :D

I am still in mid-build, but let me offer a few observations -

1. - Don't use duct tape for stitching - I did and my keel is screw up. The tape made it near-impossable to double check the seam, and my panels overlaped for the last 2'-3' on one end. Use the tie-wraps for the stiches, they work well.

2. - Looking at your pic - your top panels are upside down - (makes for a better pic, just don't try to stitch it that way) The concave side goes up.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Jerry
Fishing from a paddle boat...

gepineda
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gepineda »

2. - Looking at your pic - your top panels are upside down - (makes for a better pic, just don't try to stitch it that way) The concave side goes up.
I've been wondering which side goes up on those panels. The plans don't really tell you, and I just thought I'd figure it out when I got to that point. Thanks, that's one less thing I to worry about figuring out.

I see your point about it being difficulty to keep the appropriate gap when you stitch with tape.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Another plus for using ties instead of tape is adhesive residue. Most sticky tapes will leave some type of residue behind when you pull them off meaning an extra step to clean the areas with solvent before applying any epoxy. Especially if any amount of time goes by...

If us Northwest builders keep multiplying like this, Jacques will be opening up bateau.com NW division soon!
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

gepineda
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gepineda »

I was trying to avoid the extra step of drilling holes. Is the residual glue such a big problem for the epoxy? Wouldn't a light and quick sanding take care of the residue problem or would it just smear the glue more?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Acetone will take care of the glue.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com