FS14 build saga continues......

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FS14 build saga continues......

Post by dborecky »

Jacques et al......,

I guess my last post got zapped..... I hope I did not offend with my very long detailed problems......

I got home and unzipped the boat sides and took it all off the frame/strongback.

Here is the are the measurments I got and how I took them.

Transom thickness at the clamping board is 1 7/16".

The Transom to the Rear Frame measured from Bow edge to Transom edge is 36/ 5/8" at bottom of the transom.

The Rear Frame transom edge to the Rear Seat Frame bow edge is 36 5/8"

The Rear Seat Frame transom edge to the Front Seat Frame bow edge is 16"

The Front Seat Frame transom edge to the Bow Frame bow edge is 36 5/8 "

Here is some overall pictures with the skin off.

Jacques, I did not get a chance to copy the numbers you put on your last message before the thread got zapped. I do appreciate all your help along with everybody else.

Sooooooo..... Where did I go wrong and what do I do to correct the problem???? :doh:

Derrick
Last edited by dborecky on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I don't know how the thread was deleted. I found a wrong setting in this forum: any user could delete any thread! It's fixed and I posted the dimensions again one hour ago:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12123

Please compare to the drawing, I am getting confused by all the pictures.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I tried to compare and your distances are wrong, sorry.
More than 1-1/2" total differences.

Plus, there is something wrong with the shape of the stringers but let's fix the distance between frames problem first.

One thing I did not post in the other thread is the length of the bow mold but it is on the plans. Your bow mold is 3/4" too long.
Last edited by jacquesmm on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I'm going to copy my messages in the other thread below.
--------------
The whole thread dissapeared! Somebody must have clicked the wrong button, sorry.
Let's restart it.
dborecky had problems with panels fitting at the bow. After many exchanges, we discovered that the molds (frames) were not located properly.
At least we think that is the problem.
I will repeat the last post about the exact dimensions below.
----------------
Frames (molds) locations on the strongback.
All these dimensions are on the plans but the tickmarks are difficult to see. The tick marks show from which side a mesasurement is taken.
The strongbacks are 127-1/8" long and we start measuring from the bow side.
The stern side of the bow mold is lined up with the forward edge of the strong back.
- From the bow mold (stern side) to the 1st mid seat frame (bow side): 36"
- From the 1st mid seat frame (bow side) to the 2nd mid seat frame (stern side): 16"
- from the 2nd mid seat frame (stern side) to the rear seat frame (bow side): 36".
------------------------
This is extracted from the plans:

Except for the text under "molds spacing", that is how it is supposed to look on the plans but with the thickness of the lines, once printed, the tick marks are difficult to see. That is why I added the text about spacing.
------------
I will lock the otehr thread, let's discuss this here.

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I don't know how the thread was deleted. I found a wrong setting in this forum: any user could delete any thread! It's fixed and I posted the dimensions again one hour ago:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12123

Please compare to the drawing, I am getting confused by all the pictures.
Jacques,

Sorry about all the photos..... I thought they would help. I measured from the outsides of all frames not the insides so when you subtract for the thinckness of the wood 3/8 + 3/8 = 6/8 and the measurment I got was 5/8th for a total of 1/8th per frame width excluding the seat frames. Total of 3/8th off. Too short I think... :doh:

What do you think?... do I have a bad bow mold or did I mess up the stringers or .......

Thanks,

Derrick

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG »

This is just me, but I'd mod the stringers to fit the curvature of the hull panels myself. Maybe butt block some extensions on them. You could put the hull panels back on, and get under and trim a peice of cardboard to fit the curvature, and then use that as a template. Cut the end 8" or so off of your stringers, and make a new end conforming to the hull shape template, and butt block them on. You lose a day or two of work, and some scrap, but the problem is solved. It's not that your parts need to match the plans exactly...they need to match to eachother, and have the bottom be fair and the curvatures be even and natural....

It also looks like if you moved the forward frame back about 1 inch or so, it would better fit the stringers, and give your side panels more room to bend to meet at the bow. Getting the hull panels on the molds takes a lot of tweaking and adjusting sometimes. I had to trim my panel edges a little here and there to get a better fit.
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Jacques,

Thanks for taking the time today on the phone. For those of you following this we figured my measurments were actually pretty good and only 1/8" here or there off. That would not explain the problem. We agree that the front of the stringers have been sanded too much and I lost too much curve but that should not effect the fair of the panels. We also figured that the bow mold was too long. I did pull the bow mold off this afternoon and measure it off the boat and it was very very close to the 38 1/8" called for in the plans. I cut off 1/4" from the straight edge and lowered the mold by about 3/16" or so and I started to stitch the boat very very lightly together. I will take a pick of what I have right now and post it for you all to see and for Jacques to take a look as well.

I was going to wait for this weekend but then I was in the garage and the wife was away so I started to cut and stitch again...... :lol:

Jacque,

Let me know what you think of these latest pics..

Derrick

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Jacques et al,

I spent some time this weekend on the boat. I bit the bullet and just went with what I had. I will post the pictures in the sequence I did the process. I hope I did not mess up as It is now welded together and the stitches are cut.

I found that the Silvertip quick filet was not so thick and the consistency of thick honey. It tended to sag and drip some. I was not expecting this. This happened with each batch no matter how much care I used not to over mix it. It was actually better when it started to kick off.

This shot is my motivation. I want the boat to be sitting right there!!...

So there you have it. That is were I am to date. I hope I did not mess things up and we will see how it goes from here.

I wish the Silver Tip Filet material was thicker. It would be easier to use.

I guess I need to sand the edges and filet the rest then lay the tap on the edges and then the cloth. At least that is how I see it.

Derrick

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

You are a winner Derrick...

Its all easy from here onwards.....you are going to love this boat when its done...