Cracker Larry's OD 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Cracker Larry's OD 18

Post by Cracker Larry »

It's official. The plywood arrived on Tuesday and beautiful it is, 19 sheets of 1088 Miranti. I've got most of the details straight in my head, so we're building again, Capt. Sam and I.

I laid out and rough cut the stringers last night. 8 pieces 5 1/2" X 8' of 3/4 ply that will be laminated together. Hope to finish them this weekend and get the bottom and sole layed out and cut. I still have about a gallon of epoxy and a little tape and cloth from the last project to get me started. Need to order more, soon!

Robbie, don't let me finish this one before your GF16 :D
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Cool Larry. Can't wait to see pics of the new rig and Sam.

Tim

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Larry,
Glad to see you busy again :!: I hope to get going next week on my project (again) and who knows you may, but I will now have a reason to get after it a little bit harder. Thanks for the reason to find inspiration 8O
Best wishes and
Keep on Buildin'
Robbie
Last edited by robbiro on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG »

Can't wait to see this one. It's the 18 instead of the 15, but it's virtually the same boat. You think meranti 1088 is nice to look at..wait until you cut it. It is a pretty good smelling wood, too!
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Mixing glue again. Nice to be back at it. If I stall long enough I won't have to do any sanding until next winter. Already getting warm and buggy.

I got the stringer sections laminated together this evening. Will be able to cut them to final size in the morning, then start laying out the bottom.

Adam, I built my GF 16 out of the same plywood, that's why I'm using it again :D It is a pleasure to work with. I save every scrap for something.

Robbie, I figure this one will take a year. It is a lot more complex than the GF and I don't have as much free time now. At least I have the GF to fish with in the mean time 8)
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.......

My title for this thread says OB 18. It is supposed to say OD 18. I wonder how I can fix that :doh:

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

Start a new thread, it's too early. You can copy everything to the new thread, then Jacques can delete this one. Or maybe Jacques can rename it.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Cracker Larry go to your first Post and you should see an edit button in the upper right corner. See if it will let you edit and change the OB to OD.

That will be easiest.

From a mountain boy to a swamp boy. :D

By the way had to edit this thing twice to get it right.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

TomW, that worked :D Thank you.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Capt. Sam and I got the stringers laminated without glueing him to the floor. Put a few pics in my gallery, let me try to put one here......

Last edited by Cracker Larry on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.