FS14 nearing completion

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
racerrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14 nearing completion

Post by racerrob »

After a little aggravation(self inflicted) I have an album started on the FS 14 we're building. Put the boot stripe on tonight, ready to flip over and final touchups on the topsides. We did the finishing up top first (for a long winded reason!) Now we're waiting on the new outboard thats on order, some fuel, rodholders and were off. New pictures will be added soon.

URL: http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-11720
Rob Stidd
"RaceCity USA" NASCAR COUNTRY

retrosub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by retrosub »

Looks awesome! Very inspiring, I'll be starting mine this summer.

racerrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by racerrob »

retro,
Thank you for your remarks.
I think it is a right of passage to successfully post an album. As a result some of the pix aren't that great. If I earn my "album creating diploma", I will change them out for some better ones. I also want to post in one place the changes I made during construction, I know before I started there were several things I was looking for previous expertise on and maybe I can give some insight to somebody else.
Rob Stidd

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Your FS14 looks good, and you made good progress

racerrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jacques, any ideas??

Post by racerrob »

OK, we've gotten to splashdown on our FS14, put a brand new Merc 15hp on and we've done some running around on the lake. The boat handles great, jumps up on plane, but then starts to porpoise some. We've tried adjusting the transom angle on the motor, but it only planes out with the angle closest to the transom. If the motor is trimmed out to the third spot, she will stay bow high and not plane out.This all happens with just the operator sitting on the stern seat. When there is a passenger either in the bow seat or the middle seat, she still porpoises but not nearly as much. I know the bottom was flat, I kept an eye on that during construction., The only addition I made was a skeg about 42" long and 4" high tapered to an inch high forward.
I came across a post for trim tabs, called "Smart Tabs" I will go that way if necessary. Any Ideas?
Rob Stidd

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

It sounds like boat balance trim. take a fairly heavy weight and put it in the bow. I imagine that won't have a problem.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Congratulations on the launch but the boat should not porpoise.

The center of lift is about 42% of the waterline forward of the transom. That is where the center of gravity should be.
With a tiller motor and alone in the boat, you need a tiller extension. It can be a simple PVC pipe.
With a passenger, try to find the proper balance.
Put weights forward: gas tank if possible, ground tackle, stuff.
It's a small boat, sensitive to weight.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

racerrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by racerrob »

OK, that makes it understandable. At 42% puts it right at the mid seat. A tiller extension could be a problem, you can't get to the gearshift. I think I'll get some weight into the bow locker. I was thinking the FS14 couild be a cute little center console, maybe someday we'll convert it that way.
Any thoughts on the tabs, waste of time and money?[/img]
Rob Stidd

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

You don't shift while you are on plane. :wink:
Check Bass Proshop, they have tiller extensions for around $ 30.00 and they control the throttle. A PVC pipe will also work and cost$ 2.00.
The center of gravity is not the only thing to watch. You should also spread the weights, get some weight forward.
Tabs will help but try to sit in the middle first.
Last edited by jacquesmm on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Q »

How about one of these?

I now know without a doubt or hesitation why the chicken crossed the road.....

....it was to show the armadillo it could be done.