A British FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

A British FS17

Post by steve292 »

Hi, Just started cutting out the stringers today(small child I can only work when she is having a nap,got 1 1/2marked & cut).I'll put up some photo's when i'm a bit further along.
cheers,
steve

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Good luck with the build Steve. I'm starting this boat as well, under very similair circumstances...two little ones. Look forward to comparing notes.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Hi lower thanks for the reply,how are you doing?
cut frame A & finished cutting the stringers.
Missed the deliveryof the epoxy I ordered yesterday,hopefully it will be delivered today,so I can start sticking stuff together, then I will feel like I am making progress.Anybody got tips that they want to share?
cheers,
Steve

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

steve292 wrote:Anybody got tips that they want to share?
cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve - have you read the tutorials? I'm guessing that your stringers are two pieces of ply thick, so you want to make sure that your glue mix is right (ketchup), and also that you have a flat place for them to rest while curing.

Don't go cheap on clamps - ensure that they are well clamped for the whole length, but not over-tight squeezing all the glue out.

Same for when you do the transom.

Stringers and transom are likely the first bits to be glued, and you want to make them strong.

Good luck with it, enjoy, and don't rush. Post pics.

Regards,

Tim.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Thanks for the reply wobbly,
I have read the how-to's but it is always nice to pick other peoples brains as it were. I've been lurking for a while & reading builders threads as well(you've got a bueatifull boat B.T.W & you should be proud of what you have acheived),good informative thread as well, I hope I can do something as good. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
Cheers,
Steve

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Steve...I just got the ball rolling over the weekend. Cut frame C and D out of scrap plywood. Plan to do the bow mold tonight. Just getting the hang of things before the "good wood" shows up. Like you I've read everything on the site there is to read. Now it's just time to jump in and start. Once I get the wood, etc, I'll start a build thread as well.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

I'll try a pic

It worked!!!

this is frame A cut out -more pics later

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Hey Steve...I think that's the first official picture of a FS17 on the site! Congrats! :D

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Welcome to the group!

Any double or triple layer ply laminations can be easily held in place while laminating them, by using dowels, or wood screws that get removed and the holes filled later. You want to use something though, else those panels will slide all around on the goo. Use wood flour for plywood laminations, and not the fairing blend with the microballoons in it. I think you'll have all this info in your plans and instructions, or you've seen it in the how to's. I remember when I first laminated my transom and showed it to people. They thought it would be a tiny boat when looking at that transom, but it grew more than they imagined when all the panels came together and took shape! Enjoy planning and building and launching. If you post to a thread to document the build, they'll be quite a few of us watching the build as it progresses. I really like the open cockpit option of that design with all its wide open room. Enjoy! :)

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

That pic is a bit small...anyone got any advice about getting nice big pagefillers in..a la KS8, Wobblylegs, Cracker larry & co

The boat is going to be the raised freeboard version with a small casting deck,175 mm wide gunnells & a centre console. I am thinking of putting the fuel tank in the bottom of the console with the batteries in the bottom of a small flip -flop type seat .

But one thing at a time, get the hull built first ready to flip.
BTW the raised freeboard has nothing to do with any perception of sea keeping ability, just the fact that I have a two year old & it will be safer for her.
Steve