Lung Boy's FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Lung Boy's FS17

Post by Lung Boy »

I've finally committed to building a FS17. The plywood has arrived and the cutting has started. It is a bit unnerving cutting into such expensive wood.

No photos yet. Nothing too interesting to report, but I'm sure I will need some support in the near future. So, thanks to all of the helpers ahead of time.

Good day.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Welcome to the club! With all the fs17 builders on the board in various stages of their builds, you should have about the best support group of any Bateau plan. Have fun!

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Lung Boy it's not really very expensive the 1/4" is only $1.70 or $2.00 a sq. ft. just think if you were usng solid teak or walnut at $5 - $7 a sq. ft. It's all in the perspective. :wink:

Oh and congrats on joining the club good luck with the build you have lots of help.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

LB, you will do fine. Stitch and glue boat building is pretty easy. It should be simple for a rocket scientist. :P (read your profile) Remember to measure twice and cut once.

I am building a much different boat about 35 miles north of you. I will watch your build with interest including where and what types of fishing you enjoy.

Good luck :)

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Nice to see another FS17... 8) , you will get loads of support from this group of builders,don't be afraid to ask,it will save you time & money.
BTW,Are there any more FS17's in the UK or Europe being built by people lurking on the board?
Steve

donk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by donk »

Really like the FS 17 and have been watching the builds. Maybe it'll be my next one but I would also like a cuddy of some type.

Anyway, welcome. You'll get all the help you need here.

don

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Welcome to the forum. That choking feeling on cutting pricey wood fades somehow. And it does concentrate the mind :) That's a cool boat, looks very functional. Make sure to post pics. Remember, if you can break it, you can fix it.

Done broke it and fixed several times over Dougster

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

LB

Welcome to the build.

Study all the posts, ask questions. There is a bunch of guys more than willing to help.

Study the plans and building notes..even then you will have questions...

Use cheap ply to cut through away molds..this will give you lots of practice..

I did not know a darn thing about boat building before I started my FS17, But I am doing OK, 3 and 1/2 months later after I started.

See my gallery so far.

http://forums.bateau2.comthumbnails.php?album=751

You will do well, good luck

Bushmaster

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy »

Thanks for moral support everyone.

I have made my first mistake allready. I cut the stringer notches in the molds in the wrong spot. I marked the correct 12 inches from the center line, but I cut the notches to the outside of the line and not the inside. Fortunately, the molds are only temporary OSB.

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Nice to see another FS17 coming along. Mistakes like that can/will happen :D I wish I had a nickle for every mistake I have made in measuring. I bet I would be a couple of sheets of plywood richer :D