fl12 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jay808
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

fl12 build

Post by jay808 »

This is my first boat build everything went together fairly easily, only thing took time was the fairing. i decided to wrap the whole outside of the hull with 9oz cloth. I Had a question in regards of the skeg. Is the skeg only nessesary if you row the boat? Do you really need it if your boat will be powered by an outboard? I just aquired a honda 2hp outboard for the boat and don't plan on rowing it unless in a emergency. Thanks for your help. I did graphite the bottom already primed and put on the first coat of paint. Also one last question any ideas on making a transom plate or something similar to protect the transom from wear where the outboard clamps on? Thanks. here are some pictures of the build.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

For my outboard pad on the outside I just used some ¼" plywood coated with resin. I actually used leftover graphite resin for it. Glued it on with 3M 5200.
CC, D15, V10

jay808
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jay808 »

Thanks gk i really like that idea. I did check out some dingies at a boat dealer and they all had a aluminum plate on the transom i was thinking of doing something similar but i didn't wanna bolt or screw anything to the transom.

littlesandy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by littlesandy »

Jay the fl12 looks great. I just primed mine and am going out to sandy some more and fill. but again yours looks great good job. tom

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

she looks great...

jay808
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jay808 »

thank you for your comments. I had a chance to put the non skid on deck and also painted my second coat on the boat this morning.
Im hoping to get this boat on the water by this weekend can't wait to try it out. :D

jay808
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jay808 »

I decided to go with gk's idea on the transom pads. I cut them to size and coated it with epoxy layed plastic over it and rolled out the bubbles <poor mans peel ply>
I also got my 2nd coat on. Im using interlux brightside as my paint. I know i should've gone with a 2 part paint but our local boat dealer didn't have the primer or reducers for the 2 part interlux paints and my only other option was awlgrip but the price was a little to steep. I wet sanded it and polished it out and im pleased with the results.
Also installed some lift handles to make it easier to carry the boat. And got the hatch installed.
Just gotta wait till the epoxy cures then 5200 it to the transom. Overall this boat was a great learning experience.

JohnH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JohnH »

That finish is fantastic, especially not using 2pac.

I'd like to see the shots of her being splashed.

A job well done. Congrats.

John

donk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by donk »

You did one heck of a job, especially the paint. Was it rolled and tipped or sprayed?

don

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Beautiful job, Jay 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose