Cedarock's HM19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Cedarock's HM19

Post by cedarock »

Well, I have started the build and have made my first mistake. I tend to screw up once per day. :x I cut the frames too long from the stringer out. I noticed it just before glueing the first layer of the bottom on but after the frames were glued to the stringers. I will contribute that mistake to waking up at 3:00 in the morning and staying awake a couple of hours researching wiring. I measured from the center line instead of from the stringer position. I got one temporary frame right out of the four.
Thankfully, I was able to cut the frames in place. I don't know why I didn't catch it earlier because it was obvious, looking at the pics. Anyway, all is well and I was able to cut them off in place and have glued the first layer of the bottom on.
If I wake up tonight thinking of the wiring, I will start counting sheep. :lol: Busy building day tomorrow. The plans are spot on as they were with the fs12.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

May all your screwups be that easy to fix! :D

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I hope so...thanks chicagoross! You are coming right along on your hm. Looking good!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I cut the frames too long from the stringer out.
Heck, that's easy. It's when you cut them too short that creates a real problem. :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Just wait Larry! :D I will come up with a good one before this is over.

Today, I glued and temporarily screwed the second layer of the bottom on. While that was curing, I attached the chine panels wet on wet. I have two mistakes of the day. The first is using too much epoxy. I see builders lay tape all nice and neat and I said to myself, that I was going to be more careful on this boat but no, I still have the same messy technique. The second mistake was a couple of air pockets that formed where the chine panel meets the bottom. The putty sank and created an air pocket when I laid the tape. I will fix that with syringe and glue. So far, so good!

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

A few air bubbles isn't a mistake for me, just a part of the process. For what it's worth, I reduced mine to minimal after learning two things by trial and error, on the HMD I'm working on right now: First, the putty needed to be thicker. Second the "prime coat" of neat epoxy I put down in the area before the filet needs to me at least pretty tacky/medium hard. If it's actually "wet" at all, the putty will slide off of it a bit wherever gravity wants to take it. I try to do the prime coat at least a few hours (this is Guam, very hot) before the actual filets, maybe longer in your clime. Haven't really had any air bubbles under the tape after figuring that out :doh: .

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks, I probably do move to fast from filets to glass. I will try giving it some time and see how it turns out. I managed to get a little done today. I flipped the hull and mounted the cabin frame. Then layed a few pieces of tape. It is supposed to get cool tonight, so I hope my mistake of today is not giving the epoxy chance to kick off by fiberglassing too late in the day.

I will have to give it a rest for a few days...it's back to work tomorrow.

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Looks nice, Im glad to see someone getting on the horse and putting one of these together, its been a while!

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Lookin' good, Cedarock! It's fun putting the hull together, seeing the "boat" appear so quickly! You're also doing a nice job documenting the build, keep it up! I really think we'll see a lot more of HM's and HMD's being built, they have a lot of basic creature comforts for the amount of $4/gallon gas that they burn...

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks guys....too cold to use epoxy this evening, so I will get out the plans and see if my trimming of the chine panels at the stern will have any effect on the joint between the hull panel and chine panel. For some reason, I had to trim it off gradually to a maximum of about 1/2 inch of the chine panels for the last two feet or so. I couldn't get it to match up with the bottom exactly. Now I am thinking that I will have to adjust the chine mating surface on the transom just a bit to compensate. Hope not!