FL26 build in Friesland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FL26 build in Friesland

Post by Jaap »

After a little delay in the start due to the cold, I made a begin with our FL26 a few weeks ago. The jig is ready, all the molds for the hull are sawn including the mold for the transom. The bottom parts are glued together and shaped with the jigsaw and the same with the sidepanels. I've also ordered a 10Kw electro engine; this is our try to see if elektro boating can be enough satisfying. The plans so far are great, easy to read and understand. Its my first boat with this method, but I did (and do)quite a lot of furniture making and have years of experience with fiberglass.
On monday we leave for a short holiday to Valencia. Our neighbours have a house there, he is a member of the Oracle Americas Cup team. See if we can do some sailing there and enjoy the spanish seafood and wine. If I can make some interesting pictures there, i'll post them here.

Here are the first pictureshttp://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=18965
cu, jaap
Last edited by Jaap on Mon May 25, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Im horribly excited to see one of these exist. This is a beautiful boat!

To use an American expression, that shop is going to be tighter than a frog's ass when the boat becomes assembled.

E

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

I'm really excited to watch this one come together, too! My wife and I are discussing our needs in our next boat and this one tops the list.

Good luck and enjoy!

Huck

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Daniel Huckleberry wrote:I'm really excited to watch this one come together, too! My wife and I are discussing our needs in our next boat and this one tops the list.

Good luck and enjoy!

Huck
Now we are talking about fairing. 8) I would love to see the great job you would do with that great boat.

You could even cross to the Bimini in that one with the right conditions.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Mmmm, there's a certain Kiwi in SW France that I'm sure will be watching this build with interest!

And me!

Enjoy it!

Tim.

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

a boatbuilder wrestling and progress

Post by Jaap »

Made some progress the last few weeks, Valencia was great but back to our daily life and boatbuilding. When setting up the stations on the jig everything looked pretty good. Then I putted the stringers on and said oops. As you can see on the pictures, the camber is on the wrong side. But luckily I work very consistent; the other stringer had the same flaw. :oops: My solution was quick and dirty, just saw the ends off and glue them back on 180 degrees turned.
Then the second mystery showed up. Did I made a miscalculation with the stations, the bottom panel, something wrong with the drawings?? I placed station A at the end of the stringer, where I thought it was mented to be, but after half a day of looking and checking everything twice I had the bright idea to check it with the lenght of the veebirth, which is placed between station A and C. There was a missing 21 cm and after going through all the drawings, I found one :oops: with the correct station spacing! The only correction nessecary was to move station A 21 cm forward and everything fitted beautiful! Hereby my apoligies to Jacques that it came a moment in my mind that there was such a big mistake in the drawings.

Last edited by Jaap on Thu May 29, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Will it fit through those doors? 8O

Thanks for helping us watch an FL26 come together. :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Jaap, if the plans are confusing, let me know.
I can show the dimensions differently.

I may go to the Hiswa this year. It's close and I may ask to visit you.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

Hello Jacques (and everybody else of course),

You're very welcome! We have a guesthouse and I make good pasta or noodles. The Hiswa was in februari and I think you mean the Mets? The plans are not confusing, it is more a matter of concentration. The last few days, I have put all the hull parts together, and already sanded one side after glueing. All parts fit together quite fine. Very helpfull to get a good fairing of the slits in the flairing of the bow are strips of plywood screwed on the slits every 40 cm. I filled the spaces between the slits with glue and it looks that I need a minimum of filler to get it in shape! The tip came from my neighbour Thijs de Jong, an experienced boatbuilder and a good friend.
People around here (it is one of finest watersport area's) love the lines and looks of the boat.
@KS8, it's a double door, no problem!

best regards,

jaap

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Jaap, thats beautiful plywood, my compliments to your supplier.

So I am going to be flying to Croatia in September, can we have a bowl of pasta at your place on the way?

:lol:

E