FS17 low sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

FS17 low sheer

Post by tech_support »

A new project.

FS17 with lowered sheer and larger casting decks. I will keep the same sheer line, just lowered by about 4". Casting decks will be large, sole length will be 6'. No console, but a box a small box in the middle for gas and storage (also seat). Motor will be mounted on a hydraulic jack plate directly to the transom, no motor well. I will probably build a poling platform and a "hand rail" out of carbon fiber tubes.

Boat will be used 90% in the Indian River

The molds are cut, next week we will have the panels ready and maybe even have the strongback finished (all cut on the CNC) - this will be a quick one :)

Joel
Last edited by tech_support on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Sounds nice...........come down here to show us all how it's done,have you :lol: :lol:
I look foward to it,should teach me a few things
Steve

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

We want pic and videos like the FS14..

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

We want pic and videos like the FS14..

:) Thats the idea. We will show things that keep coming up in the forum, and test new products.

Things to show:

mixing quick fair with scale :)
more fairing tips/tricks
stitching/taping
glassing the whole bottom at once; wet on wet
we may build a gas tank from epoxy/glass/wood

any other suggestions?

Things to test:

Epoxies, new formulations and new products
making carbon fiber parts
new epoxy for gas tanks
new filler combinations

Joel
[/i]

Tagged
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tagged »

Great project!

So why the lower sides? And how did you decide that 4" was the right reduction?

Tag

dpurcell
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dpurcell »

Shine,
Looks like the race is on on this one, although I think it will be a bit of turtle and the hare scenario,probably with the expected outcome rather than the unexpected outcome of the old fable. Probably a good thing though, I can just shadow your build and hopefully minimize mistakes! :oops: Especially when it comes to the fairing, looking forward to seeing those tips! I'm getting started on the strongback soon, but my schedule takes the build to next June.
On another note, Joel, did you ever get in touch with Mickey?
Donny

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Sure must be nice in that river, no chop, all these low-freeboarded boats with big monster casting decks.....

Looking forward to some photos, SPECIFICALLY how you are going to build this transom and no motorwell.

E

jayb01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jayb01 »

What about a small side console somewhat like this:

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

That will be a nice build Joel, can't wait to see the progress and piccies, good luck mate.

Have you decided on power yet?

Mick

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

So why the lower sides? And how did you decide that 4" was the right reduction?
Tag - Jacques cut it in 3D for me and it looked right at 4", plus the casting decks get too low if we cut it down more.

Donny - I am going to build the hull as designed, after drawing out some of those mods we spoke about at the meeting, I think it would just complicate things too much, with only a slight benefit. I have not called Mickey, but I will soon - I need another board :!:
Sure must be nice in that river, no chop, all these low-freeboarded boats with big monster casting decks.....

Looking forward to some photos, SPECIFICALLY how you are going to build this transom and no motorwell.

E
Eric, your right the river is nice and calm most of the time. Its does whip up in the afternoons and in the spring - so the added sheer towards the bow will be nice. The water is warm, so a little spray is a price Im willing to pay for less windage (slower drift) and ease of getting in and out (we wade fish a lot). I think the transom will just have nice uninterrupted camber, and there will be a hatch through the rear casting deck to access the jackplate mounting bolts
What about a small side console somewhat like this:
Jay - I thought about the side console, but if I want a cooler/seat/tank box in the center - there is not enough room. The remote steering and throttle mean more work and less room. For the indian river, a console it really not needed. If I were using the boat in more open water where standing with a tiller is too rough (crossing sounds or in the ocean) i would absolutely have a console
Have you decided on power yet?

Mick - For power Im thinking F40 Yamaha, but i will switch if i can get a deal another motor :)