C17 in New Jersey, USA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
michaelk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C17 in New Jersey, USA

Post by michaelk »

Hello all;

This is my C17. I started her back in 2004 and after taking a break due to life, work, family, etc... I finally have some time to get back to work.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=255

The first 2 pictures were taken with the cell phone while I was moving the boat out of the garage so that I could work on the car.

She's safely back in the garage again and I've gotten a dozen or so hours of work done since. More pics to come as I make more progress.

-Mike

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Welcome back! :)

michaelk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michaelk »

Thanks.

Now that I'm working on her again, I've been going through a lot of "why the heck did I do THAT?" and "why didn't I do THIS instead?"

When I glued down the sole, I stuffed the rear compartments with that pink insulation foam. When you walked on it, the sole actually made squeaking noises :(

I spent the last few weeks removing it and replacing with the 2-part marine foam that they sell on the site. I also drilled a few holes in other compartments and filled them with foam as well. She feels a lot more solid now when you walk on the deck.

I'll take a few more pics tonight.

-Mike

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

NJ builder

Post by Hope2float »

Hey Mike

Lane and myself , Dave are also building in NJ. Where are you located. Lane is in Howell and I'm in Jackson. We are both building a P21. I have also ordered FS12 just for practice. Lane has got a good jump on it but i'm completing some house projects first before starting on the P21. Give me an email at buildrite2day at yahoo dot com and i will foward my phone # to you

Dave
[email edited to prevent spambots finding it. BWM]

michaelk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Progress made

Post by michaelk »

She's back in the garage now.

Need to correct a few mistakes. There are a few more pics in my
gallery documenting the corrections that I needed to make in order
to remove the cheap foam that I installed 3 years ago.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=255

Once I get the foam issue taken care of, I'l actually be able to move
forward.

-Mike

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Hey Mike,

Nice to see it! Looks good so far - can't wait to seeing you finish her off!

Enjoy it.

Regards,

Tim.

michaelk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michaelk »

Thanks.

I'm planning on adding some woven tape around the edges of those panels that I needed to cut out, then some 6oz woven fabric over the entire sole.

I'll probably spend some time this weekend and put some attention into the cabin area. I'm guessing that it will be pretty tight working in there after the top is on.

-Mike

michaelk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michaelk »

I spent some time over the past two weeks and finally feel like I'm making some progress again. After seeing WobblyLegs' C17, I decided that I didn't like the window openings next to the cabin entry. I'm going to cut a new panel for it, but in the meantime, I decided to cut it off so that I would stop hitting my head on it.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the cabin sole has been drilled, foamed, plugged, faired and glassed.

And, the I got to fitting a few panels. These panels divide up some storage compartments under the double berth. These panels are actually flat, but the camera (cheap) makes them look curved.

This panel WAS slightly warped. The C-Clamp provided just enough pressure to keep it true until the glue set to keep them in place. Creative Clamping anyone?

Now, I'm working on glassing all the ply that will be exposed to the weather. I cannot stress this enough.... Buy the GOOD stuff!!! I figure that I've spent more time and money dealing with the cheap ply, than it would have costed to just buy the good stuff in the beginning. No bright work with this stuff.

-Mike
Last edited by michaelk on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Everything looks good from where I'm sitting.

what kind of epoxy are you using?

I doubt if I could do bright work with the good stuff.

michaelk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michaelk »

Everything looks good from where I'm sitting.
The camera hides a lot... and I'm counting on the paint to hide a lot more. :wink: I do want some bright work. I'm thinking about stuff like handrails, the console, and some other trim pieces. I really like the look of teak decking, but I don't think that I've got the patience to use it here.

The epoxy is actually from a competitor, so I am not going to post it here. I will tell you that it's awesome stuff though. 100% solids, non-blushing, wets out easily and is about 40% less expensive than the S3 stuff. The down side is that it's really tough on the sanding discs and belts. I've also burned out 2 RO sanders since I started the project. Email me directly if you want the link to the epoxy supplier.

-Mike