wegcagle's GV-15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

wegcagle's GV-15

Post by wegcagle »

Here we go. After floundering around on the forum for many months, and many times of balking at the last minute on my order, I finally worked up the guts to click the purchase button for my new boat. I wanted a boat that would be multipurpose, as I am long time crazy duck hunter and recently striper fishing machine at Clark's Hill lake. I debated forever between the GV-15, GF-16/18, OD-18, and most recently the low shear FS-17 (Thanks alot Joel. Just what I needed another boat to ponder endlessly over. :wink: ). I want a mod v/v hull for the big lake water, but as shallow a boat as possible. I finally decided on the GV-15 mostly because of the shallow draft, low freeboard, it's easily modified, low horsepower requirement, and stability. Of course I think this accurately describes most of the boats above. I've rebuilt aluminum jon boats from the ground up many times, but haven't had alot of fiberglass experience. So I took one of CL's many pearls of wisdom and started with a console. I quickly learned you guys make this look way too easy. In the end the console looks great! (At least to my eyes). I'm not done fairing/painting but that will come later. Here's a rough sketch of what my ultimate goal is. We'll see how close I come. All critiques/ideas are greatly appreciated. One interesting part is that I am thinking about using Joel's pool noodle carbon pole technique to build the built in duck blind. We'll see. Gotta a long road and ALOT of sanding to do before then.

[/img]

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Welcome to the forum :!: It is great to see another build about to get underway. Your sketch looks pretty neat and has some cool custom features. You will have plenty of help here with your build...

Richard

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Thanks Richard, I'll certainly need it. I got the jig done today (who knew it would take 2 hours to build, straighten, and level :oops:), and confirmation that Joel is shipping the goods 8) . Right now the jig has no roof, but I am probably going to pick up a portable cover in the near future. Any suggestions on good/bad brands :?:

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

wegcagle wrote: Right now the jig has no roof, but I am probably going to pick up a portable cover in the near future. Any suggestions on good/bad brands :?:
I guess it would depend on your neighborhood. I have seen these boats built outside, in garages, in livingrooms, porches, and in portable structures. Cold now in Georgia so that needs to be taken into account. If you have a garage you should build her there...

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Shelter Logic is about the only brand with any name recognition. A polyester cover will be more sun resistant than other fabrics, but more expensive, too. I've been building under a tent, originally with plastic tarps for the top. Last time around, I went with a Harbor Freight canvas tarp. Nothing has lasted more than about 6 months. After all is said and done, I would have been better off if I had spent my money on a $700 metal carport. Now I still need a carport for storage of the finished boats.
CC, D15, V10

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

The Costco ones are nice if you have them in your area. They're fully enclosed with zippered entrances on each end. They run about $220. Mine is from k-mart. Zippered entrance on only one end and runs about $260.Here's an old pic before mine was full of boat Image
Aloha

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

gk108 wrote:Now I still need a carport for storage of the finished boats.
Gary, that's what I like :!: Not boat, but boats 8) Every builder needs a 3 or 4 boat garage, of course with a design for future expansion :wink:

Good luck on your build Wegcagle...

Richard

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That boat should work real good at Clarks Hill. That lake gets a nasty chop at times and it sure is getting shallow :( Sounds like a good choice to me.

Good luck with the build. Making the decision on what to build may be the hardest part. Or what to build next :lol:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Thanks for the input guys, I'm headed to Target, Kmart, Academy sports, and Harbor freight today before my wife changes her mind and tells me I gotta build in the open. (She just got something shiny for her birthday that has temporarily changed her mind about a large "tent" in the backyard :wink: )

I know what you mean, CL. I've already been drooling over the AB23, LB26, CS23-25, and of course the upcoming GS28. I had to tell myself more than once to simmerdown :D Just because they're incredible boats, doesn't mean they are the boats for me.....YET :!:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

(She just got something shiny for her birthday that has temporarily changed her mind about a large "tent" in the backyard )
:lol: If you first set the tent up in the front yard, she'll probably feel a lot better about it being in the back. I need to shop for one of those tents myself. My OD just spent her first night outside, it won't fit under my shed with the T-top on it :cry:

Where do you boat at Clarks Hill? My family owns some property and a cabin on the Lake at Modoc. Modoc Shores I think it's called now. We've had it 50 years. It's in a cove and there used to be 20' of water under the floating dock. Now the dock isn't floating and it's another 100' just to the waters edge :doh: