SB18 in the Philippines

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

SB18 in the Philippines

Post by lncc63 »

I started a few months back but the rains did not really stop till now. I'm putting the frames together from strips plywood mostly 76mm wide, joined with 16oz biax strips on both sides. I've got most of the parts cutout and fitted. Last weekend, I got frames A and C assembled, frame B is on its way.

I'm sure someone's thought of this but I found that if I cover a fresh fiberglass patch with a sheet of plastic, I can use a rubber roller to squeeze out excess epoxy and get a nice smooth finish to a patch.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I know why you're doing that, Incc, but sure is a hard way to make ply frames! Course I guess it's no big deal after making that hollow mast. :D

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

I like pain ... the constructive kind :) is all Ross.

Got all the frames assembled though I still have to do some more endgrain sealing. The next step is to make the hull panels but I couldn't resists putting them up on the strongback to get a better sense of what I've gotten myself into again :D. No regrets.

I'll have Frames C and F up over the evenings of this week.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Looking good, let me know when you need some help. I've got time on my hands and need something to do. Also I can learn some things.
Larry

sngatlanta
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sngatlanta »

Am I going to have to put my SB18 in a container and come to you or will you be meeting me here for the race? :lol:
Marcelo should be ready soon also.

Keep up the good work and post often so we can see what’s going on.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I got frames F and C up last night but I discovered an error in frame C, nothing that can be fixed by the almighty epoxy/fiberglass tandem. The error is in the side beams so I forged ahead in setting it up.

Setting up Frame C is proving to be a lot of fun. It being angled and all. Last night I figured I could use the cabin sole level as reference so I hung two piece of lumber between frames D and B flush with the cabin sole supports clamped to the posts holding up the frames. The lumber pieces hold Frame C up allowing me to move it around. I had to stop here because it was already 11pm but I figure I can use plumb to align the bottom edge to the mark on the strongback. The top I'll just align with a beam across the strongback. The thing is I have to make sure those sole supports on the other frames are dead on. Not a problem at all since this is just all an exercise at this point. Hey, just the same, I'd love to hear how other builders got this done. Greg? Marcelo?

Hey Larry, I may just take you up on your offer.

marcelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by marcelo »

Hello Greg, Incc63, Larry!!!

How are you doing guys?

I am in this race do not forget me. :D

Incc63, this frame C is a good one.

I posted some pics in my blog and you will see how I got it aligned. You will find hundreds ways to do it, I guess that one is just one more way.

Check that out in http://www.sb18coral.zip.net

These are some pics where you can see how I did it:
http://sb18coral.zip.net/images/sb18017.JPG

http://sb18coral.zip.net/images/sb18018.JPG

I have a picture with some colorful lines where I tried to show where was my concern regarding these alignments. I hope it helps instead make more confusion.

Some progress with my SB18 Coral:

I finish planning the keel, I am ready to glass it and create the Keel box.

I will take some pics and try post it next weekend.

All the best.

Marcelo.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks Marcelo. I think I get what you did. I especially like it that you braced the strongback where the frames are suppose to go.

sngatlanta
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sngatlanta »

Incc63,
Wish we knew your name.

Set all your other frames in place making certain they are plumb and square. The point at the bottom for frame “Câ€

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks Greg for the info. Actually Frame C was the last I setup but I'll setup it first once I've got the hull panels ready.

A fellow Bateau fan, he has a VG20, was kind enough to piggyback the plywood I need for the hull panels from the hardware store so I'll be starting on the hull panels this weekend. Yipee! I thought I'd have to wait a few weeks.

Good luck with the sole. Please tell us in how you get it in. I'm sure it can be done but I've been wondering how easy it will really be. Any other insights would also be most appreciated.

Oh by the way my name is Louis.