NC16 - Modified 19' Square Stern Canoe

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rvesper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

NC16 - Modified 19' Square Stern Canoe

Post by rvesper »

Well I finally found the digital camera and took a few photos. I discussed this project in some other threads but for those that didn't see those,

I took the plans for an NC16 and scaled them way up and then made one end square.

What I ended up with is LOA 19' 1", Max width 38" and as it sits in the photos right now it weighs in at 80 lbs.

I had some difficulties making a nice clean putty joint and in the photo below you can see my final answer. I cut the radius I wanted out of a Bondo spreader. There are two laying on the deck in the foreground.

The block in the bow is temporary and the two bulkheads will get cut down to frames after I get the rubrails in place.

It is a beast, be kind :oops:

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Not a beast, it's a BOAT by gosh!! :)
Daddy

rvesper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rvesper »

The weather here has gone from a high of 82 last Thursday to a high of 50 degrees (maybe) today. I am a wimp and hate working in the cold so I am at a standstill. I have plenty of sanding to do which could be done in the cold but I just hate it.

To make matters worse, I am one of the several hundred thousand that lost my job in January. My wife has already informed me that I can keep working on the boat only with the materials I have on hand. Fortunately, I over think everything and usually get all of the materials I can think of when I start.

I have finished up all of the fillets on the inside and have attached the rub rails (out wales). Also based on the fact that I am going to put on an electric trolling motor and a battery, I decided that flotation was important so I made about 8 cubic feet of water tight compartments. I boxed in about 2' of the bow and put a low seat (5" off the deck) in the middle and in the stern that are sealed in below. Based on my calculations, the boat should float with several inches of the gunwales above the water even when fully swamped.

I am down to about 3/4 of a gallon of resin (1 gallon with hardener) I am hoping this will be enough to finish the job. In an effort to limit waste of resin, when I am working along, I always leave something that needs to be glued or puttied so If I have a little left I can use it there. I also turn over any container of clear mix on the deck and roll it out when I am done. By doing this, the most waste I have had beyond the coating inside the mixing cups has been one small puck about 1/2" thick and 2" in diameter.

I did discover that it is much easier to wet the glass out first then put it in place however, this does use more resin. In the initial stages I was wetting the surfaces well and put the dry tape in place then, with a brush, I stippled in enough resin to get a good wet out. That was much more work and the biax tape does not take well to being worked around that much and begins to disintegrate. Now I lay out the glass, pour on the resin to wet it out, roll it out with a small roller and then turn it over into place. I am using about 1oz of mixed epoxy per foot this way. Using the earlier method I described above, I was using about 2/3 of an oz per foot but I have lots of fouled up glass knots to grind out now.

Earlier this week I put all of the parts inside the boat and the remaining Resin and glass I think I will use and weighed it. It is coming out much heaver than I wanted. I was hoping to stay below 100 lbs but it is going to come in at about 120 lbs.

Based on my slow progress, I will be ready to splash test it in my friends pool in a month or so. Hopefully it will be warm by then.

Before any of you in cold weather country start telling me what a wimp I am about the cold (I am), plan to stop by here in July or August when the daily high is over 100 degrees every day. Us desert rats get thin blooded and can't stand any cold below 60. It is sad isn't it?

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Too bad about the job, lots of folks up this way in the same boat (sorry).
Daddy