FS12 DownUnder progress

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
eril n
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS12 DownUnder progress

Post by eril n »

First Boat, first post. whoo hoo!
I guess many a wise head will smile and nod quietly when I say that after a few years of thinking about 'building a boat', getting some plans for a 'simple' build (the FS12), that I thought I'd knock it over in a 3 week Christmas break...
hehe.
All between looking after the kids, all the jobs around the house that have waited etc etc...
Anyway, I'm learning fast but lovin it!
Was a Mid December start, and it's looking much more like a boat now I'd have to say.

What great forums! Everyone's experiences, tips and pics must have saved me days of work and quite a few bucks so far.

Oh for sure, I've still made a few wrong measurements (measure twice, cut once), glued my knees together having an afternoon nap, experienced the thrill of a smoking glue pot, experimented with self-raising cooking flour fillets when I ran out of the good stuff (just a tiny bit), and become quite addicted to buying just one or two more clamps whenever I enter a hardware store.
Seems to be a common phenomenon that I'm already starting to think of the next bigger boat already.....

Last edited by eril n on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Good on ya 8) Welcome aboard. That's a good start in a few weeks. The learning curve with epoxy is quick :lol:

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Seems it doesn't take long to develop the BBV (boat builders virus). It affect most of us.

As for the time frame and other "goof-ups," don't worry about those. We've all done them. 8) I thought I would complete my first build (a V12) in a month... Four months later I finally splashed it. :roll:

Have fun and don't set a deadline.

By the way, I'm on my second build and still learning; a lot.

eril n
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS12 need a motorwell?

Post by eril n »

Thanks guys, appreciate the encouragement!

Question: i've built a mini motor well / bilge on this one.
I can't see it on Shine's pics or 'FS12 Build sticky' , but then it's not mentioned that we don't need/make one either.
Just shows some foam to block off the foam pour in that area.
Just worried also my old Johnson might drop a bit of fuel there etc from time to time... surely that's not real good on the foam there above the stringers (if that's all that was there).
Anyway - hope I'm doing it right
(I hear it's also ok to make things up as you go sometimes ) :wink:

here's some pics of where I'm at with it.
(yes - adding glass to joins now)

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

Looks great :!: You'll be on the water in no time.

Paul

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

G'day Eril. Well done on the boat mate, you're roaring along

Mick

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Welcome to the club !

Enjoy the building :!:

Bye
Bernd

eril n
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

progress - fillets too big?

Post by eril n »

night by night, join by join.....
OK so... whats the thoughts on my fillet size? I notice some have very small fine fillets..are mine too chunky? or is chunky good?

yes - i could not resist..
am modifying the middle seat as i have a nice padded seat to put just in front of rear deck. Sure, yes, i know it will suck up room... but i can get it all right on the next boat yes? hehe

Oh yes - how could i forget!!! got to mention my good ol buddy Billy Vincent, who encouraged me to start this boat building project as he would gladly come and lend a hand glassing / sanding etc, since he wants to go out and fish in it when finished......
Now, when was it you said you were going to help on this?? !! haha
good one mate!

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Biker B.O.B. wrote:... I thought I would complete my first build (a V12) in a month... Four months later I finally splashed it. :roll:

Have fun and don't set a deadline.
8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The boat is coming along fast. :) Have you got the engine waiting for her? Details? Where you plan to float her? Welcome to the group! :D

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Good lookin' boat! Your cruising right along! Welcome to the forum.