PH18 w/tunnel

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

PH18 w/tunnel

Post by Uncle D »

Hi all. First attempt but excited to be doing this. Wife isn't too crazy about it though. :roll: The honey-do list is getting bigger. :oops: Oh well, started cutting material. Got the side and bottom panels done. Hope to get the rest of the cuts done soon. Hotter than blue blazes here already. Can't wait for summer. 8O I was sent medium hardener in the epoxy kit so that has to go back for slow.
It was a little slow going at first but that was because I didn't want to make a mistake. Hope to get some pics up soon when it starts to look like something. D.
Last edited by Uncle D on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH 18 w/tunnel

Post by Mad Dog »

Come on Uncle D, post some pics. Scraps on the floor will do. Those first cuts are a milestone that need to be documented. :P

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Hey Dog, Will do. Actually I need a new C-F card for the camera before I can.D

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Seem to be spinning my wheels. Ordered the proper plywood instead of trying to short cut to save money. Good news is I can use the cheep stuff for my patterns so I don't have to lay it all out again. Should be here by the end of the week. Still sorting out a lost box by UPS on my fiberglass kit order. Joel said he'd see to it so one less worry. Got the stringers cut and most of the bulkheads. I want to finish the rest of them and start gluing but it always seems like something comes up to stall my efforts. :x I'm going to hope for the best next week. :D
Later Don

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Got to thinking last nite about a thread that was about a tunnel. They talked about how they added to the top of the transom to keep it at the height for a 20in shaft. So the PH 18 hull can be built on the stringers and bulkhead. Thinking on this, I guess I'll have to build up a jig type support for the added height of the transom to offset the bulkhead height. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks, Don

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Got a little more done. Realized I'm using way too much resin wetting out the glass. Still have the transom to cut. After that I think I'll be able to stitch. :D
One question this time, I'm adding a tunnel so when is the best time to do it . :doh:

Buster and Bear inspecting the hull panels.

Busters done. Get back to work.

Stringer splice, too much resin!!

Some weave showing but still too much. :x D.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

You're off to a good start! :D
Uncle D wrote:
One question this time, I'm adding a tunnel so when is the best time to do it .
I.M.H.O. If it were me I would wait until I had the stringers and panels in place. That way you can follow all the design recommendations to make sure the hull is true and strong before cutting away part of the structure. That's from the guy that never build one of Jacques' designs.

Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Good advice Charles, I spent the evening working out the transom. doing a little extra for the bigger engine. Later, D.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Hey Don, how's it going? I hope this heat isn't holding you up. I know its too hot in SA to work outside. ABout gave myself heat stroke Friday. :(

Ergo piscor, ergo sum

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Mad Dog wrote:. . . I would wait until I had the stringers and panels in place . . . to make sure the hull is true and strong before cutting away part of the structure.
Correct and very important.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com