Another Cracker GF12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Another Cracker GF12

Post by Cracker Larry »

Well, Sam says it's time to build another boat. He's got BBV. I might too :wink: This one is not for us though, it's going to be sold. We don't need another boat :doh:

This will be our second GF12, a great little jon boat for our swamps. Many of the freshwater swamp areas around here have a 10hp limit and the GF12 can perform well with that, carry a load and float in a couple inches of water.

So we're off again. Sam's got a fresh stack of plywood....

And we've recycled a building jig for the third time. Used and abused. It's ugly, but now level and square. It'll do fine :lol:

To be continued, :D of course
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Another Cracker GF12

Post by Dog Fish »

Sounds good Larry, and you know we will all be watching ya. Good luck with the build.

Brian

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Nice. Looks like Sam is ready. I always seem to pick up some useful tid bits from your builds Larry.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Oceola
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Oceola »

Hey Larry...

Well here you go again. Looking forward to following the thread. If you have time could you keep a running log of the general topics/page numbers covered then you could post an index in another thread or as a stickey?. I never did find time to go back through your OD build and develope an index...shame, that's a great Tutorial on composite boat building. Your well documented builds are really appreciated. You and Sam have fun.

Frank
Craftsmanship means no wrinkles in your duct tape.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Awesome. I wasn't sure what I was going to do without another C.L. build. Lookin' forward to it.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

wegcagle wrote:I wasn't sure what I was going to do without another C.L. build.
Me either. As luck has it, I will be starting my GF12 build this week also, although I will be taking it SSSLLLOOOWWW... Maybe, and I mean maybe, finishing up by this fall.

Looking forward to the details of your build CL. Will, I am definitely enjoying your build also.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thank you all for the replies :D

We got started yesterday, cleaned up the shop, finished the building platform and got 2 sheets of plywood drawn out for the transoms, frames and clamping board. Will conitinue layouts and might cut some wood today.

I sure wish it would quit raining, think it's rained the last 45 days out of 50 :?

A&H, I'll use a fiberglass splice instead of the butt block on the bottom, don't really want a butt block in the middle of the sole.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

Cracker Larry wrote:A&H, I'll use a fiberglass splice instead of the butt block on the bottom, don't really want a butt block in the middle of the sole.
I agree on not wanting the butt block there. I just haven't decided yet whether to FG splice, or splurge for an extra sheet of ply and put the butt block under the mid seat. Due to a qty discount from my local wood supplier, this additional sheet of 1/4" Meranti BS1088 would only cost an add'l $32. Looking at the nesting, there will be scrap, but I'm sure it will get used, if not on this boat, then the next one... :)

I actually went to pick up my ply this past Saturday, and someone had just cleaned out there 1/4" stock. So it now is looking like Tuesday to get my wood.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

AH, one thing about buying an additional sheet, it will give you plenty extra for ripping rubrails. If we use laminated 1/4 ply for the rubrails, we'll need about 75 linear feet ripped 1 1/2" wide, and there isn't a lot of extra in the nesting. Maybe enough to piece it, but really tight, probably not. An extra piece is a good idea :wink:

I got all the frames cut out today, and both transoms and clamping boards, seat tops and bow deck. Will get pics up soon.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Like I said, it just keeps on raining. Another 2" today. When you get 2" a day for 45 days, it starts to add up. I 'm beginning to realize what prompted Noah to build a boat :help:

Bow deck, rear seat and forward frame...

Transoms, a frame, 1/2 seat top and clamping boards for both transoms. The bow transom doesn't really require a clamping board, but we're putting one on here...

Two more frames, the other clamping board, and the other half of the center seat...

That's all for the frames, transoms, clamping boards, seat tops and decks. All the 1/2" stuff is cut out. Tomorrow we'll do the sides and bottom :D