Pluggin along with the FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Pluggin along with the FL12

Post by JBing »

Took a few current pics taken today. Started doing some sanding because we ran out of epxoy :( I dabble in furniture making in my free time ( that was before I decided to build a boat) and I have never gone through more sand paper then I did today 8O . All in all my brother and I are having a blast putting this little puddle jumper together. The only complaint I have is having to wake up every morning and head to the office rather then head to the garage :lol: BTW does anyone want a ping pong table so I can get the damn thing out of the way :lol:

Imaged

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Pluggin along with the FL12

Post by mguel »

You look to be off to a great start. I bought a 3 gallon kit of epoxy and i have completely coated the entire boat. I probably used a lot more than necessary as I used a brush for the seams and a roller for all the flat areas. I also fibered the entire bottom so that required a lot more epoxy. And i added fiber to some areas of the seat tops that wasn't in the plans. I have about a quarter of resin and hardner left. I still need to make filler to place under the rubrails but i think i'll have just enough. It goes by real fast. Also, I bought the small containter of quickfair and that was enough to fair the tape seams on the inside. And i might have enought for the seams on the chines. But I do need to coat the quickfair with epoxy as well, so i'm really biting my nails.

Nice looking seams and corners by the way.

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

I made more progress today. I was able to cut the mid seat locker, the rub rail, PVC clamps and did some sanding. I also dry fit the rub rail to see if a 6ft pace pipe was going to be enough and also trimmed the ends to with a couple inches. I had to use a strip of 3/8 for the port side of the rub rail. When I purchased the wood one of the panels had a bit of a bend in it. Just so happens that the bend wound up on the shear line, bowing the panel into the cabin area. The three 1/4" strips just followed the contour of the bow so hence the 3/8" substitute. Ended up working like a charm! Situations like these are why I think I enjoy this project so much. If we make a mistake some where it’s correctible.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

JBing wrote:The only complaint I have is having to wake up every morning and head to the office rather then head to the garage
I'm having the same problem. I don't seem to have any motivation to do anything but work on the boat, consider the boat, plan.... quite inexplicable.

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

how much flex is expected in the flooring between each set of seats? Ours seem to flex a bit when just adding pressure just with a hand. Would it be with in reason to add another sheet of 3/8" or even 1/2" to the floor? Im just worried that if someone where to board the boat from a dock and loose their footing they might go through the hull 8O

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

a few updated pictures... seat lockers were done by hand, my router took a dump

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

and here we are L.N.K. aka the (Late Night Krew) left is Jason my brother, middle is my wife Michelle and on the right is me Jeff (Jbing) :D BTW Michelle hates this site, she says it has taken over my life :lol: :lol: :lol:

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

well that last picture sucked, looks like I'm going to have to crop it a little :doh:

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

Anyone have any input on the flooring?

Cascadie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cascadie »

I haven't read anywhere that you deviated from the plans, so I'll reiterate what many have said here: "Don't overbuild". Flex is ok, and remember you'll be standing in the boat when it's on the water, spreading that load differently than just up on your stands. I actually underbuilt my D5 and it's just fine.