Tom's C17ccx "CARONDELET"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Tom's C17ccx "CARONDELET"

Post by TomW »

C will be a center console 18'2" long 1' longer than the C17. She will be about 6" wider than the C17. Instead of the cabin I am developing a center console version. The original C17 has the fuel tank above the sole, in mine it will be below the sole, lowering the CG. All parts have been looked at and either added to or strengthened. We now have one extra frame, 30" between current frame D&E with current frame D moving forward 4". The console is about the same place as the steering station is on the C17. I tried to balance the weight of the cabin with the weight of the CC in placing the console, seating, forward storage/fishwell. Everything at this time it works well, whether it will with a T-top is to be determined.

Well I haven't shown any pictures of my set up of cutting out the frames or panels for C so I thought I would today. Instead the batteries for the camera went totally dead.

So I'll tell you a little about it I have a 4x7 cabinet building bench which I have put a 1/2" 4x8 peice of styrofoam on this allows me to cut with out cutting on my bench. If you will notice that is 2x2 wood that has warped in my normal 80% humidity and I really need to rebuil the bench. As well I have put a peice of the same foam on my table saw/router taple which has an extended table. This allows me to lay out two sheets at once say maybe 30 minutes. I use a drywall square, mark the base line at 8", then draw it across the wood. Next drop down the distant required for the point and distance for the chine. Add the baseline to the height above it for the gunnel and draw it and use my 3" wide guide to mark the line to cut for the potential camber.

It is very important that you always measure from one long edge!

Tom
Last edited by TomW on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Tom's C17ccx "CARONDELET'

Post by michaelwpayton »

Wow.. sounds interesting Tom, looking forward to watching.

-Mike
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

I've been looking forward to seeing this thread get started 8) Go get em Tom, it's gonna be sweet :D
Aloha

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Sounds interesteing Tom. I looked at the C17 as a CC aslo. I look forward to following your build.

Congrats on getting started :D

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Look who crawled out of his computer and finally started building a stinking boat!

Congrats, now you have 6 months to be completely finished with a show-quality mirror finish or we are all going to scrutinize you.

E

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

:lol: Eric I have at least 8 months till I have to have her down in Boca. Should be no problem as long as the propane and electic holds up. :wink:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Go Tom! We've all been waiting a long time for this thread to start! :D No doubt this is going to be a special boat!

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

TomW wrote::lol: Eric I have at least 8 months till I have to have her down in Boca. Should be no problem as long as the propane and electic holds up. :wink:

Tom

Give her hell Tom :D

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

I'm watching...

I'm pulling for ya Tom..

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Spokaloo wrote:Look who crawled out of his computer and finally started building a stinking boat!
ImageThis made me fell laughing out of my chair, thanks for thatImage

Good luck Tom