Mike's OB15 Build : Bottom Panel Goof

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
prowlerblue
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mike's OB15 Build : Bottom Panel Goof

Post by prowlerblue »

It has been awhile since I have posted. Have the framing jig complete and the panels all cut and was planning on gluing the panels together this morning ,when I discovered I miscut the bow bottom panels. They are off by over a inch. Instead of 30 1/8", they are 28 1/4". I have tried to be carefull and measure and remeasure before cutting, but still managed to screw up. I think I will need to order two more sheets of marine ply and recut these two panels. Chalk up this expensive mistake to a first build major goof. I have sta :doh: rted to take pictures of my build and will start posting them when I figure out how to create a album.

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mike's OB15 Build : Bottom Panel Goof

Post by sds »

You might be able to work out a patch, with a butt block or glass.

If you post a picture showing the panels laid out with the gap, maybe someone who knows what they're doing (not me) could save you having to order new ply.

prowlerblue
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by prowlerblue »

Thanks for the encouragement SDS, I will lay out the panels and post them. Mike

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Don't panic (yet). You can do amazing things with epoxy! :D :D

Load the pictures on your computer in an easy to find place (I have a file called "boat" where everything goes). There's a tutorial on how to upload them from there, but if you run into problems someone here can help.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13991

the link above has the instructions for posting pics.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Don't panic (yet). You can do amazing things with epoxy!

Yep, don't panic yet. Is the missisng area at the chine edge or sheer? If it's at the chine there will be several layers of tape and cloth covering over it, so just glueing on a filler strip of plywood will work fine. I've been know to do it, and it's still holding :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

where are the panel off? Depending where the mistake was made, we may be able to recommend a fix.

The bottom panel is easy to add the transom end, but towards the bow its nearly impossible as the panel takes a twist. A spliced piece will not take a twist (at least a fair twist).

Joel

prowlerblue
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by prowlerblue »

Thanks you all for your suggestions and encouragement. :D I found the goof. I undercut the stern piece of the bottom panel. Found this out by checking all of my measurements the next day, with a clear mind. This can be cut right this weekend, and I can start joining the panels together. I do have a question. Has anyone heard of beveling the panels for a better fit? I believe Devlins book on Stitch and Glue emphasizes this. I will keep you updated on my progress. It is good to know I have your support here at this site. Hopefully I will be of some help to someone. Mike

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

prowlerblue wrote:Thanks you all for your suggestions and encouragement. :D I found the goof. I undercut the stern piece of the bottom panel.
That's what I thought :wink:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Great news! Glad it was that end and you're back on track. Will let others answer as well, but the bevel isn't needed as a gap is a good thing...yeah, I know it just doesn't make sense, but it's true. The epoxy filling is actually stronger than the wood up against itself. Makes cutting and gluing real easy.