FS14: jaydillyo's first build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14: jaydillyo's first build

Post by jaydillyo@yahoo.com »

After much debate I ended up going with the FS14 for my first build. The plans are on the way and I just bought the motor. I picked up a brand new Yamaha 20PLR on eBay for $1825. 20 hp Yamaha 4 stroke, power trim, electric start, remote. Wasn't planning on picking up a motor until spring, but the price was too good considering that it is new and has a 3 year warranty. I think the 20 hp will be a pretty good match for the FS14 with a small console.

The one good thing about getting the motor now instead of later is that it's going to be a big kick in the butt to get the build done. Wish me luck!

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

gustoffur
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14: jaydillyo's first build

Post by gustoffur »

That is an incredibly good price for a boat motor; you got a link to the EBay seller?

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

Awesome buy... I would like to know who that seller is also. In general, these guys http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/yamaha.htm, who are about an hour north of me, have what "I thought" were good prices on new Yamahas.

-Mike
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Here is the link to their eBay store: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rarinlucy/
Here is the listing that I won: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0244100228

It is supposedly the last one that they had.

Mike,

Those are actually pretty good prices at Ed's Marine Superstore. Definitely the best I have seen. I just happened to catch a good deal on eBay. I can't even remember the last time that happened. It's hard to find decent deals on eBay anymore. Not like the good old days.

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Mike here is a link to some one's that is up near you that Ken Owen used many years ago(5 or so) for a used Mariner on his PH15 I believe it is run by a relative of his also. Ken is Sticky Stuff on the site here. http://www.budgetboats.net/motors.htm

They also have trailers. They are in VA Beach I believe.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

Thanks for the info Jay.

Tom... AWESOME... not far from me at all... may be just what I need in that most everything I have bought so far has been "slightly used," :-) I'll check it out and let them know how I found them.

-Mike
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Parts parts parts

I got the list of parts that I need to do a complete installation. The prices are the best I could find online with a quick search for new parts.

704-48205-P1-00 - Binnacle control box, $235
704-82570-08-00 - Ignition Switch panel, $125
6X3-8258A-00-00 - Main Harness, $65
MAR-CABLE-12-SC - 2 Control cables, $60
Total: $485

Optional:
6YR-W0035-F2-00 - Multifunction Digital Tach & Speed Kit, $500

That of course is too much so I'm going to try to snipe most of the parts off of eBay. I've got until I finish the boat next spring so I'm hopeful that I can find some good deals. Also, I don't need the fancy digital gauges. Just going with normal gauges will be far cheaper.

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Center console

I'm unable to find the location for the Center Console in the FS14 plans. I could've sworn that I read somewhere in the forums that the location is specified in the plans. I'd appreciate it if someone could link me to a post that does specify them.

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

The center console is not part of the plans for the FS14. It was an add on by the builders that have done it. It will need to be small and placed about the area of the center seat or a little forward. You can see how it was done in the picture on the study plan.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

chris_b
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Center console

Post by chris_b »

jaydillyo@yahoo.com wrote:I'm unable to find the location for the Center Console in the FS14 plans. I could've sworn that I read somewhere in the forums that the location is specified in the plans. I'd appreciate it if someone could link me to a post that does specify them.
I think the thread you're looking for is here. User Pat4 made some significant modifications to his FS14 to build a version with a console and a sole; it's the one shown in the picture for the FS14 in the plans listing. I think he gives details on exact modifications starting around page 3 or so.

Hope that helps!

Chris