OB19 build in Texas - I accidentally deleted my gallery They're trying to restore.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

OB19 build in Texas - I accidentally deleted my gallery They're trying to restore.

Post by Steven »

Started my build today, though I haven't purchased the plywood or Epoxy yet. I'll be picking up the plywood in the coming days and ordering the Epoxy kit on the 15th. I picked up some OSB and cut out the temp frames. Tomorrow I'll cut out the bow mold and build the jig frame. It will be on wheels. My garage is about 19 1/2' long so it's going to be tight. Will do most of the work with the door open the boat rolled partially out.

The bottom frame is not as close to rectangular as it seems. The camera can really distort angles.

Last edited by Steven on Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

onemilehigh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB19 build in Texas

Post by onemilehigh »

Looking forward to watching an OB19 come together. Are you building it exactly as planned or a modified version?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Good deal, another Texas thread 8) I used the castors on the frame thing too and it works well. The more $'s you spend on the casters the easier it rolls. Ain't that how it goes.

Says happy labor day Dougster

Steven

Post by Steven »

onemilehigh wrote:Looking forward to watching an OB19 come together. Are you building it exactly as planned or a modified version?
Still deciding on some of the details. It's gonna be a CC. Not decided on cooler seat with swing back or nice leaning post with cooler under it. Console will be ~30" wide. Seat in front with baitwell underneath. Will extend front deck and rear deck some for casting. Will decide how much for sure after getting the hull righted.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Built the rolling build jig. Ordered the Epoxy Kit. Hoping to head to Houston on friday to buy the plywood. I work a 4x10 so I have a lot of time to build each week. If I get the wood on Friday, I'll get the pieces cut out and some glued together(edit. No gluing afterall. Epoxy won't be here until next week. DUH) this weekend. I'll finish gluing up the pieces next week and have it stitched together in 3. I figure that will be about 70 hrs. labor. I'm shooting for a splash in under 6 months. Really want to be on the water for Spring Striper fishing. It's too windy on the big lakes for the GV11 to be comfortable and dry.

The GV11 is being sold and the OB19 is too big for the garage, so the wife will get to park her car in the garage as soon as this is done. She may be more motivated than me. :) I'll add pictures at milestones instead of a complete step by step, as it will be hard to beat Larry's build thread for completeness. I'm also going to give advanced estimates for how long I think things will take, as above. Then we can all get a laugh at how ridiculous I am when it comes to optimistic time estimates. :)

Advice and suggestions welcome.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Good to hear there's another OB19 in the works - I've got the ply and epoxy already, but I'm going to be about 6 weeks behind your start date. (finishing restoring another boat).
Anyway, I wanted to put the livewell in the seat in front of the console also, like you mentioned. However, how are you going to run the pipes? especially the drain pipe?

I guess my question is: how are you going to get the well to drain and still have the overboard drain pipe/hole above water? For this reason alone I was planning on putting the livewell in the back - but the weight forward would be nice...

I'll get my thread going in 4 weeks or so, hopefully we can help each-other.
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Took off with the wife to Houston at 11:30am for the plywood. Rained off and on the whole day and of course poured when we got home at 8:00 pm.

Sat for a bit until it slowed up. There's a boat in here somewhere. The GV11 is going to loose it's home tomorrow.

Last edited by Steven on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steven

Post by Steven »

wadestep wrote: I guess my question is: how are you going to get the well to drain and still have the overboard drain pipe/hole above water? For this reason alone I was planning on putting the livewell in the back - but the weight forward would be nice...

I'll get my thread going in 4 weeks or so, hopefully we can help each-other.
Haven't given it much thought yet but it's doable. Lot's of boats have them. As long as the cockpit is above the water line, the water in the live well will drain. I will probably run a drain tube right under the cockpit floor and out the transom. A shut off valve at the transom. However, I've yet to research it so that may be a bad idea.

Look forward to seeing your build start.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Started cutting plywwod today. First thing I built a 4'x8' frame out of 2x4's which lay on my rolling table. So I have a waist height table for cutting the plywood on. It rained all day so I couldn't lay out the sides and bottoms. My garage is 19' long so I need to hang out the 3rd sheet of plywood for marking. Ugh!!! I also need the door open so I can rip the stringers on my Table Saw. Gonna rain tomorrow too. Double Ugh!!! I'd like to have everything cut out my Monday afternoon. UPS says my epoxy will be here on Tuesday. :)

Steven

Post by Steven »

The rain has slowed me up but I've made some progress. I have everything cut out except the hull panels and stringers. I'll knock those out tomorrow and will be ready for glue. The hull panels can be cut two at a time, so I'll only measure and mark one side for the bottom and side panels. I'll stack and cut to get duplicates. I rearranged the garage to I'll have room to rip the stringer blanks. That will only take about 15 minutes. Shouldn't be too long a day.

Here's a view of the cockpit sole layout. Lowes or HD didn't have a 20' piece of PVC pipe. Used a coupler which was ok for the sole, but will not be fair enough for my liking for the hull panels. Tomorrow I'll go on a mission to find a 20' stick. I must say, I like using the PVC for a batten. I used a piece of 20' molding for the GV11. PVC is much more manageable.

Image]

Here's a pick of my rolling workbench with the 2x4 cutting frame on top.