FL12 first build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mchain
New Poster
New Poster

FL12 first build

Post by mchain »

Howdy,
I've been lurking around on the forums reading all about all these great builds. I'm very excited to finally start my FL12 after looking at the plans for about a month, lol. I chose this boat because it fits my budget and seems like it would be fun to row around in the lagoons around here. I'm in Cancun, Mx. and it's been interesting trying to find what I need. It took a lot of searching to find some fiberglass tape and it was kinda expensive. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the only epoxy resin I have been able to find here is "bulton" (not 100% on the spelling) brand and I've never heard of it. They said it was 5:1 ratio but that was the only specifics they had on it.

Anyway, I'm crawling around with my pencil this afternoon and I hope to cut some plywood tomorrow! Wish me luck!

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FL12 first build

Post by michaelwpayton »

Welcome and good luck!
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

mchain
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mchain »

Well, the place I found that carries that epoxy has very limited quantities so it's been slow going. So far I've only been able to do the butt blocks and battens. Also it blushes like crazy, lol.

I did a dry fit of everything just to see what it would look like and that was super fun! It's awesome to see it looking like a boat!

I do have one question about the transom. In the plans it says to double up the ply for use with an outboard but I think in one of the tutorials I read that you only need to double up above the seat. I'm thinking about trying to find an old 2-4 hp outboard so I'm guessing since it's so small it would be fine either way but I just wanted to make sure I'm not screwing anything up by just putting the extra layer above the transom seat.

I'll look up how to do images now.

mchain
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mchain »

gluing up stuff

just to see what it would look like while I wait on more epoxy.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Those panels sure do shape into a boat quickly, don't they? :)

Welcome to the group. :D

I've never heard of that brand epoxy, but I'm not an epoxy brand expert. :wink:

5 to 1 ratios need to be measured carefully. Some chemicals are more tolerant of a difference in measuring accuracy of a *catalyst*, but with epoxy resin and hadener you really need to try and get as close to that 5 to 1 ratio as possible. I use small syringes (one for hardener and one for resin) to measure small batches precisely, and count out the proper number of resin and hardener squirts carefully (too easy to lose track if your attention slips).

If you have been lurking, then I will assume you know that with lots of blush, once the epoxy is cured, you should remove that blush before sanding, and then hit the cured and now scrubbed epoxy with 80 grit before trying to bond any other parts or laminations over it. If you have questions about such details, a search should give you lots of info, or, simply ask a more direct specific question outright.

Have fun! :D

mchain
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mchain »

Syringes! that is a great idea. I already have had nearly a whole batch go to waste while I was messing with something. I knew I needed smaller batches, thanks for the pointer.
This stuff does blush like crazy, I can see it already. I'm kinda paranoid about it so I think I'll do ok about preparing the surfaces to continue later.

I'm going to go tomorrow and see if the store has received more epoxy resin yet. Hopefully I can get enough to get it all assembled before I go home for the holidays.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I use syringes from West System, made for use with epoxy. Here I am using them also for very small batches of epoxy based bottom paint. You can get very accurate.

Image6885

Remember, no matter how small the batch, or large, mix thoroughly and scrape the bottom and sides of your mixing container often while mixing. Once mixed, pour into a wider and shallower container to dissipate heat and have a longer working time with the batch.

Here are some syringes I use for structural epoxy, one devoted to resin, and one to hardener. My epoxy brand is 2 to 1 ratio, so two squirts resin, one squirt hardener, and I start mixing. :) There is also an older plunger there that had just begun to dissolve, which I hadn't thrown away yet. :oops:

Image6574

I can get about 50 uses, sometimes more with the resin, out of each syringe before the plunger starts to dissolve. No need to clean them thoroughly if you have one dedicated for resin, and one for hardener, and never accidentally confuse them. For large batches, you need to count carefully, especially with 5 to 1 ratios. :)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

looks good, welcome to the forum

for the little outboard you should double up the thickness above the seat (thats where the force and weight is concentrated).