Joe's P19 RE-LAUNCH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Joe's P19 RE-LAUNCH

Post by Joe H »

Hi All,
I have been kinda working on the P19 for a few weeks now as seen in some other post but with the weather being off and on here in Michigan so has my boat building and fishing but here's where I am to date.
I started with drawing everything up in CAD for the build of the hull so we could CNC the wood, it's has been a learning experience if anything, we cut the transom, clamping boards and bottom so far and they turned out perfect but I have decided, after we are done with the sides, that's all that will be cut on the CNC machine for now, between having to haul the wood an hour away from my house to the CNC shop, cutting a few pieces of wood and then re-loading the wood and driving back home it's just too much hassle, besides that it's taking some of the personal aspect of cutting it myself away, sounds weird but I like that one on one with cutting the wood myself, not to mention the CNC cutting was painfully slow because we only had cutters made for cutting steel. I should also mention here that my daughter's boyfriend really knows his stuff and when he gets his own CNC machine set-up with a 4 X 8 table and a wood cutting cutter we will be able to fly through the next phase or boat we decide to do.

I finally got the frame together and all aligned after some challenging moments and thoughts of what did I get myself into but all is good now, well almost,
I don't know if you can see it but at the front of the outside stringer the bottom of the frame does not line up with the bottom of the stringer???
I'm not sure where I went wrong but I'll crunch some #'s tonight and see what I come up with.

Next I will lay the CNC cut panels on the frames and see how she lines up.

Joe H
Last edited by Joe H on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Joe's P19

Post by michaelwpayton »

Looking good Joe... thanks for posting the pics.

-Mike
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Very Nice! I look forward to following a P19 build...

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Great start Joe 8) That's some serious looking machinery 8O
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gk108

Post by gk108 »

CNC cutting was painfully slow because we only had cutters made for cutting steel
Even when you have the right cutting tool, speed is limited because of heat. You can run a stream of coolant on metal, but slowing down is about the only way to keep rotary wood cutting tools cool. 8)
CC, D15, V10

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Agree with Gary you have to slow down with a CNC wood cutter to make it work well. Instead of 20,000 rpms your down to 8-9000 rpms. To slow you'll be leaving burned marks. A metal cutter can be a lot slower depending on the thickness of what it is cutting.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Lools great Joe, and I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

What happen to that professional crew you had. :lol:

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Looks great.. That is one huge boat.

I like the shot from the transom you can see to bottom already.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

fantastic machine :!: For those rough cut flute bits you need to run slow enough RPMs to allow the chips to get clear. There are various calculators for RPM and cutting speed, but we have found that the wood speci (density) also is a significant variable.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

The CNC machine is pretty much retired from any actual production work so they didn't mind us setting up a jig for cutting plywood, how would you like to have one of those in your garage! you guys are right on about slowing the RPM's down and the travel speed, we used a 1/4 dia cutting bit usually used for cutting steel, one of the workers there said it was one of the best cutters you could buy, I'm not sure what kind of special cutter it was but the tip was gold in color, Tom your close we slowed it down to 10,000 rpm's for the best results and no splinters.

Hey Murray, I had to let my crew go they were fun to have around for awhile but they were smoking all my cigarettes and drinking all my booze!

I hope to get the bottom and side panels spliced together this weekend and try a dry fit but only if the weather sucks, I still might have a couple of weekends before I have to pull the OD16 out of the water and perch fishing is great this time of year, that is as long as the duck hunters don't take my head off!

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress