FS17- Extended sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FS17- Extended sheer

Post by Bluefish2 »

I cant believe the weather, 70 degrees and I am still working on the boar!
I finally have the problem of the sides and bow not meeting correctly solved with help from a friend and a drafted nephew.
I am down to the verry tip where I am still having trouble with tension breaking tie wraps. Bailing wire and a twisting tool should solve that issue. I figure three days and the seems should be glassed. If the weather holds out that long.
BF2

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17- Extended sheer

Post by Bowmovement »

How much are you extending the sheer :?: Do you have a build thread going :?: If not you should, with pictures :D I am strongly considering the FS17. Have had the OD18 plans for a while but am reconsidering. The wet ride everyone talks about doesnt excite me. Our weather may be warm out here in So Cal but the water is freezing :!:

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Hello Bowmovement,
I do actually have a build thread somewhere but since I have not posted in some time I am starting a new thread. There is a picture gallery with a few pictures but other people have built this boat and put up very detailed build links. My work tends to be work boat finish.
The sheer will be 3" higher than designed. I have a nephew who is handycapped so I felt the slightly higher sheer line would be good for him.
The OD 16-18's are nice boats. I have the OD16 and the biggest problem for me is the pounding not a wet ride. Flat bottom boats POUND in any amount of rough water. They are, however, stable for fishing.

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

The pounding is not so much an issue for me, but the SWMBO will not like it too much. Got to keep her happy :D

The more she enjoys the ride, the more I get to use the boat :D

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Matt see Steve292 raised sheer FS17. He raised his about 7". He has pictures here in the builders section. it is a georgous green boat over in England.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

TomW wrote:Matt see Steve292 raised sheer FS17. He raised his about 7". He has pictures here in the builders section. it is a georgous green boat over in England.

Tom
Tom, I have read through the whole thread. Great looking boat.

Matt

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

A bit more progress. I am about ready to tab the sides in place As long as I have two more days in the fifties I should be able to glass the seams. Weather is about to get nasty.
BF2

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Initial epoxy tabbing is done. My fishing buddy, Jim, came over and helped out. I will try and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Oh, I remembered why i swore i would never build another boat- Last night I sat down and realized that i had just sunk a 1/4" long splinter into my butt. OUCH! Several more in different parts today. Nothing note worthy though. To late to stop now. :lol:
BF2

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Weather is unbelievably nice! Warm, sunny, upper 50's, and clear blue sky! I am making unexpected progress on the FS!7 The seams are now done and if the weather holds for two more days I will have the bottom glassed. Indian summer: I hope this does not mean a Yankee winter.
BF2

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

I should also note my fishing buddy Jim is the next big reason for the progress.
BF2