Majorgator's XF20 - SPLASHED :)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Majorgator's XF20 - SPLASHED :)

Post by majorgator »

I decided to move by build thread to this section, as its more appropriate. The link to my original thread and all the discussion with it is:

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16512

The photo gallery can be found here:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=963

The rest of the build progress will be posted under this topic.
Last edited by majorgator on Fri May 20, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Majorgator's XF20

Post by majorgator »

So the bottom is completely sanded, and ready to be taped off. As you'll see in the pics, I omitted the sides and bow transom from fairing and sanding. My plans are to paint the bottom of the boat white, then at a later date, paint the sides, bow, and transom black. I'll fair those sections once I complete the inside fiberglass work. I decided to wait because the fiberglass on the inside will wrap over the edges, so it will work better for me to finish the sides later.

It really makes the boat look like one complete uniform piece, which is encouraging :wink: I guess I forgot to take pictures of the fairing process.

I was so excited when I got done sanding...until I remembered that I have to sand after applying the hi-build yacht primer :cry: But its OK, I know that will go a lot faster than what it took after the fairing. We're getting some good temps right now, so if this continues, I may be able to start painting within the next few days. Planning to use roll & tip vs. spraying.
See my XF20 Build Thread

Zack Attack
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Zack Attack »

Looks great, I think this will be the next boat my brother and I build :D

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

majorgator wrote:
I think it looks great, and your dog also looks like he's relieved that your done sanding :D :lol:
Completed: FL14, OD18

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

your dog also looks like he's relieved that your done sanding

It was getting late in the afternoon, so she was relieved to know that I could take a break and feed her :lol:
I think this will be the next boat my brother and I build
I think this a fairly simple boat to build, but its extremely time consuming. It just takes a while to cover all that hull space when fairing and sanding.
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

The second coat of yacht primer went on last night. It made a HUGE difference over the first coat. The only problem is that the white color really brings out some of the poorly-faired areas. Well, at least this is the bottom, and I now know how to do a little better when I fair the sides and deck.

pictures to come...

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I have an opportunity to purchase a 85HP Yamaha 2 stroke at a really good price. Thoughts on using this for the XF20??? Too much motor?? It weighs about 20 lbs more than the 70HP. :doh: :doh:
See my XF20 Build Thread

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I think it would be fine Seth. It's got to be lighter than this 4 stroke 60! That's a big boat.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

It's got to be lighter than this 4 stroke 60
Yeah, Larry, I checked on that. The 85HP I'm looking at has a listed dry weight of 248 lbs. Without knowing exactly what model Ken used on that boat, the general range I found for a 4-stroke 60 HP (using 2006 year make) is 237 to 248.

I only get a little concerned about pushing the limits of construction for this boat. I know that Hunch used a much larger, older motor on his XF20, but I'm typically seeing 50 to 70 HP motors when the sole is installed. The general design of the boat w/o the sole only considers using a 25 - 30 HP motor. Generally speaking, I'm not too concerned, but I just wanted to float the idea on the forum before I pull the trigger. :lol: :lol:

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

OK, so I'm going to check out this 1995 model 85 HP yamaha on Friday. The deal is $1100 for the complete motor, wires, controls, & gauges. For an extra $100, I can get the 19 pitch SST prop. But I'm thinking that this pitch is no good for the XF20. Richard, Tom, thoughts?? :idea:
See my XF20 Build Thread