AR15 in Eastern NC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Hammertime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

AR15 in Eastern NC

Post by Hammertime »

Let me start by introducing myself, I am Bill S from Lake Waccamaw, NC.

Having recently finished a strip canoe, I decided it was time to build a sailboat. We picked up some Okume plywood last weekend and started cutting the frames, bottom, chine pannels and the sides for the AR15. This morning we started assembly.

Got her stitched together then flipped her over to secure the frames a little better.

Once that was done we flipped it back over and added the tape to the bottom.

After that we flipped it again then returned it back to the garage.

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AR15 in Eastern NC

Post by jsriolo »

Wow, awesome! That is a lot to get done in two weekends!

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Bang! Really fast. Looks like your off to a great start. Maybe your ancestors really did build Rome in a day.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Hammertime... email me. If possible, one day I'd like to see your AR15. :)

Hammertime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hammertime »

Traveled all week, so I did not get to work on the boat until Saturday afternoon. We built a stand to sit the boat on yesterday and started taping today. Learned that I did not mix my fillet epoxy thick enough. Next time I will add more wood flour so it does not run.

How do I get the pictures to be larger in the post?

Hammertime

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Open the pics in the gallery first by double clicking on them to enlarge them, then right click properties, copy and paste to your post. You are posting the thumbnails.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Hammertime wrote: Learned that I did not mix my fillet epoxy thick enough. Next time I will add more wood flour so it does not run.
you might also consider some silica. I find a mixture of silica and wood flour makes for nice stiff fillets.

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

That's better.

Brian :)

Hammertime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hammertime »

Back at it. Another week on the road and finally getting to do a little boat building on the weekend. Put casters under the cradle so I could move her out into the driveway to enjoy the sun. Did some more work on the frames today. Noticed tonight that I have a couple of air pockets where the glass covers the but blocks. Guess I will have to grind that area out and redo. I now have the transmom, E and D frames glassed in and tomorrow hope to glass C and B.

KS8 sent an e-mail not sure if you got it. Come on down anytime.

Capeman-thanks for the info on how to import the picures larger.

Chrisobee- tried the silica. Seems to help, mixing it about 4 wood dust to 1 silica.

Hammertime

Hammertime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hammertime »

It's been a while since my last post so I thought an update might be in order. We have finished taping all the frames. Have shaped the center board, and cut out the ply for the centerboard trunk and ruder. Hoping to flip the hull today and start on the outside.

Now if it will cool off a little bit maybe we can get back to boat building.

Bill