FS14 build in Ecuador

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fjapa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14 build in Ecuador

Post by fjapa »

After spending lots of time trying to get the right materials and testing them on a ccanoe which picture is below, I finally started my FS14 build.

I will try to post as much information and pics as I can. I think it is going to be the first build in this country and by now I started drawing the panels and cutting the frames (shop is also too small).

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14 build in Ecuador

Post by Cracker Larry »

Welcome, I think you are the first from Ecuador if I remember correctly 8) Very nice looking canoe!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

fjapa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fjapa »

Thank you Larry. I am happy to find so professional and nice people in this forum. i'll keep you posted.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Welcome aboard, do you have any more pics of the canoe, or did you finish it yet? The wood you have looks nice, much better than what I can find around here :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

fjapa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fjapa »

Yes I finished the canoe but I stopped that build with 2 coats of prime. I even took it to the shore :lol: for testing the seams and the resin.
That wood looks good but its just 5 mm marine plywood so I am not using it for the FS14.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

The canoe looks nice in the water, thanks for the picture. :D

fjapa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fjapa »

Haven't had much time for the project cause me and my wife were waiting for our first child Isabella (which is here now). At this time the FS14 is ready for "tack welding".

I cannot find fillers anywhere but have found a white powder I think in English it's called "china clay" or "talc". Has anyone used it for thicken the epoxy resin? Any suggestion on how I can make it thick with alternate materials?

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Congrats on the new baby, my wife and I are about to have baby #3 in two weeks! The boat is looking good too.

As to the talc, unless someone with credentials says it's OK I would stay away from that. Try and find woodflour (very fine sawdust) or silica to mix in. You want to get it right the first time, you don't want to have issues with the boat while your little one is on board :wink:

Is it not feasible to have some shipped to Ecaudor? The stuff is neither heavy nor expensive so it might not cost all that much to get there versus trying to build with something untested.

George

fjapa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fjapa »

Congratulations for you George too.... I am already using woodflour for the glue but I wasn't sure it works for covering the boat with the fiberglass. Will check if I can get some silica from the US.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I have used talc as a filler. It was an emergency, had nothing else available.
It works.
Talc is a silicate. It produces a very hard putty, not ideal but OK if you don't have anything else.

There must be wood shops there that have wood flour available. It is something they throw away.
The finest type comes from a planer (cepilladora).
Make certain there is oil in it.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com