HC12-X Nesting

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

HC12-X Nesting

Post by Arm&Hammer »

I didn't want you all to think that I had abandoned boat building. I have been busy with work for a while, and my GF-12 is on hold until I can paint this spring, but this project was small enough to finish in my basement.

A while back I posted about building a nesting canoe that could be easily stored in an apartment, and could also be shipped via UPS. Other than a few paint touch-ups, I have finally finished.

Although it may be tough to tell from the pics, I did make a modification based on the intended use of the canoe. It is not for rivers; it's primary use will be shallow flats. The front and rear height has been lowered approx. 2". The canoe has the same depth at the center; I just changed the slope of the sheer to the lower end points. I did this to reduce windage, and also to reduce the size of the canoe when nested. I also tweaked some dimensions to allow for very little rocker.

For the nesting, The center section is 5' long, the rear section is 4' long, and the front section is 3' long. Approx. size of the nested canoe is 60"L x 28"W x 14"H. Estimated weight of 50 lbs.

I built it from BS1088 Meranti 4mm. The internal transoms were originally installed with 6mm, then I added another layer of 4mm over the FG tape (saved on fairing in some tough to reach places, and added some stiffness). Other than wood and 1/4-20 SS hardware, all material was from Bateau: MarineEpoxy, wood flour, blended filler, 6oz. tape, graphite, S3 primer, KiwiGrip, Bluewater MegaGloss Gold Paint.

I did coat the bottom up to the second chine with graphite before priming. It sounds like overkill, but I wanted some extra protection if I scrape through the paint/primer. The better paint was overkill. It doesn't look great, primarily to operator error and poor conditions for application. But I'm learning. I'm not too worried about the looks, as it is going to get beat up in time.

A couple of changes if I were to build again:
-I would not cut the internal transoms that low. I have tested it, and it's not an issue of water getting in, but there is no reason not to have the extra margin should you really need to load it down.
-I would have slit the chine panels during assembly to make it more rounded, thus providing more bouyancy fore/aft.
-I maybe would have made it 3'/6'/3'. This would have made the main cockpit larger, and made th front/rear symmetrical.

I only had it on the water for an hour or so last fall. It is narrower than most commercial canoes, and I was expecting it to feel less stable. Considering that, I felt comfortable in it. For reference, I stood up for a few seconds to stretch my legs, but I would not attempt to stand up and fish. Tracking was very nice. Looking at the hull shape, the waterline is carried relatively far for/aft, and it wants to track a line as good or better than my 14 footer. Speed was also nice. With the narrow waterline and good tracking, this will come in handy when moving from spot to spot.

Let me know if you have any questions, or would like more pics.
Last edited by Arm&Hammer on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HC12-X Nesting

Post by sitandfish »

I remember you mentioning this boat when "jmburbach" was talking about building a two piece canoe.
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24331

I'm sticking with the idea of three pieces being a good design based on your work. Looks great!

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

Thanks S&F! I hope to get some better pics with it on the water this spring.

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

I don't know how long I can keep this canoe. My son thinks its his! At least he is enjoying it in the house until it warms up.

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

It's been about five years since building this. I was asked about it recently and thought I would share, from a couple weeks ago. Simple to throw in the back of my wagon, and store upright in my breezeway. Forgot how to post pics, but I put a pic in the gallery: http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=60354

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Welcome back!

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose