FOSTER'S XF20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FOSTER'S XF20

Post by FOSTER »

I bought the plans and had a few question before I go purchase the wood. How hard is it for someone that's only wood working experience is building things like decks? I really want to do this build it looks fun, but I’m thinking this may be over my head.
Brent

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FOSTER'S XF20

Post by nc_robbie »

Foster, anyone can build this type of boat the stitch and glue is easy and anyone can do it. As far as support and advise you have all you could ever want in this forum there are many experienced builders that will provide many helpful tips…go for it you will not be sorry that you did… :D
Rob

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

There are several well documented XF20 builds on the forum. With a few exceptions the guys on here have basic woodworking skills and the ability to follow directions. There is also a huge amount of help on this forum and countless years of building and boating experience to draw on. If you would like to see a finished boat the Texas Builders Meet is the last weekend of July in Port O Conner at Clarks.
Majorgator, is almost finished with his XF and Aripeka Angler finished his 3(?) years ago. AA's boat is called Red Alert and is very nice, he is also a frquent poster as is Majorgator. There is another XF20 builder in Corpus Christie that is fairly close to finish on his build. I doubt you would have a question they couldn't answer. The XF is an awsome flats fishing weapon, it will get up in 8" and float in 4. Those numbers are independently confirmed by a lot of guys. :D

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

Sounds good I think I will buy some wood tomorrow and start my XF project. I have a feeling I will need lots of help.
Brent

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Foster, I think there is a place in Houston that sells Meranti 1088, I believe the name is Houston Hardwoods. Or, do you have another source for this kind of ply?

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

That sounds good I am a new builder to this type of boat building (stitch and glue) but I would recommend that you spend a little more money and go for marine ply in the end you will not be sorry…stitch and glue or traditional building marine ply is worth the investment in my mind… :D
Rob

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

I was going to buy it at Kemah Hardware they say it is marine plywood for 3/8" its $50.75 a sheet. i will have to call the place in Houston and see what there price is.
Brent

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

AB fir marine plywood is that good plywood or do I need to stick with something like Hydrotek?
Brent

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

AB fir marine plywood is that good plywood or do I need to stick with something like Hydrotek?
All advice on here from the designers to others who have built this (and other) boats is to stick with the higher grades of plywood. I bought all my Meranti 1088 and 6566 from the e-boat guys for a reasonable price. I know its reasonable because I bought a couple of sheets of AB Marine Fir from local place to do some misc. work, and the price was the same. Go with the Meranti or Okume, you won't be sorry...and you won't be worried about fixing it later.

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread