T's GF12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

T's GF12

Post by Prarie Dog »

Got the plans today to build T's GF12 and gave them a look. Looks like a simple straightforward build. Got one problem, the transom and frames on this boat are half inch ply and the only half inch I can get here is Okume. I can get Meranti in all the other sizes but the supplier is out of half inch. Do you guys think the Okume is a good choice for the transom and frames or should I wait until I can get the Meranti. The supplier thinks he'll have it in August. If I needed much wood I would buy it from Joel but the freight is a killer on 6 sheets.

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: T's GF12

Post by stickystuff »

Well. the cost of okoume is higher but it is the top quality of all boat building wood. If your budget allows it I would get it. This will also make your hull a little lighter. Beautiful wood to work with. Its a shame to cover okoume up with paint. Love the natural finish of it.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Are you going through Straight up in Denver? They had some 1/2 meranti when I talked to them last, but that was a few months ago and I have no clue how steady their supplies are.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Yes. And they are out. They said they won't get more until late August

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Well that sucks, but Okoume is good stuff from all I've read so you'll still be in the good :wink:

hockey52
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hockey52 »

T's thinking he needs to register on the forum so he can post stuff on this boat. :help: I could've swore I saw a post about there was no rush to build the GF12 and now they're disappointed they can't find the meranti. :doh:

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Went up to Denver Friday morning and picked up the ply for this boat, they still didn't have any half inch meranti so we sucked it up and bought Okume. After cutting and working with Okume this afternoon I believe it's all we'll be using in the future. It is very good stuff, worth the money. Thought we'd try to do a good job documenting this build, it will be a little different. We are going to build a small console behind the center seat, instal a tunnel and extend the sides to incorporate two sponsons behind the stern. Very much like what Uncle D's done on his build. We also plan to instal a 60hp Yamaha----------just kidding :lol: , a 25 hp, remote steer mounted on a jack plate. Should run way to fast, if I have any money left we will instal a small K top. Because the motor is larger than the transom is designed for we doubled the transom and will instal motorwell sides that run forward to the rearmost frame. It will have a third layer on the transom between the motorwell sides for a total thickness of 1.5". Got a good start today.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

25HP on a GF12 8O 8O :D

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

gstanfield wrote:25HP on a GF12 8O 8O :D
We were planning on mounting one of these on the K top. :lol:

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

That'll work. Might increase draft a little though :lol: