Old School PH16******Splashed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
super dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Old School PH16******Splashed

Post by super dave »

Posting a few images of the initial setup for my PH16 build. I'm building from a pre-cut kit I received last week from Joel. The quality of the kit is excellent and makes for a quick start. The kit does have a few variations from the basic plans including full height clamping boards for the transom. After dealing with some of the geometry issues I elected to copy the design of Joel's low shear and create slots for the ends of the stringers at the transom, this gives the proper transom angle and dimensions at the deck and will hopefully aid in construction once I flip the hull. Last picture shows some initial fitting of the bottom sections to measure for backing blocks that fit between the stringers. Comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. FYI, I constructed the back and uprights for the jig from the basic plans prior to receiving the kit and the pre-cut bulkhead and stringers fit together perfectly.

Last edited by super dave on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Old School PH16

Post by peter-curacao »

Looks great! welcome to the club! and good luck!

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Not sure but are you sure your bow mold and bulkhead A are dead center with the rest of the frames?

super dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by super dave »

Optical illusion at the bow mold, I used an idea I saw on the forum to use fishing line to set a center line down the jig and everything is maintained in correct alignment. For some reason the images are being cut off on the right side when I post giving a bit of distortion, I'll see if I can fix that in future posts. Thanks for the comments and feedback.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Okay must be the camera angles, just checking because from the bow it looked to far to the right and from the stern to far to the left that's why. Maybe an other idea for when the build is becoming heavier is putting crossmembers ( hope that's the correct English name) between the legs ( those on casters)

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman »

Superdave,

Welcome to the forum. It's great to have another Phantom build :lol: As peter-curacao mentioned, on your strongback, you may want to add some lower 2X4's lengthwise, connecting your legs near the casters. As your boat gets heavier, there will be a lot of leverage on the strongback legs, as you roll it in and out of the garage. Any movement of your strongback legs may cause your boat to not be level. :doh: The more you reinforce your strongback now, the less potential problems you will have later.

-Mark
Completed: Phantom 16 viewtopic.php?t=19940

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

Hmmm, Looks to me like you live in LaMancha. Good chance I may have built your house. I lived in the acreage. Corner lot on canal on 51st. and 130TH. A- Frame style house. Moved to Ocala area 21 yrs. ago.My PH16 is in photo section. (Sport'N A woody) One suggestion. Keep it simple and keep it light.Great hull design.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Great to see another PH coming together. Looking forward to following your build. :D

super dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by super dave »

OK you guys have scared me into adding another member to the legs of my jig lengthwise. Once I flip the hull I plan on cutting the legs down to have a better height to work inside.

Stickystuff, good eyes, it is indeed La Mancha (west side of Cortes Ave), the house is till holding up strong and weathered three hurricanes, so if you did build it, we thank you for keeping us safe. My "old school" theme had your boat in mind and I definitely plan on keeping it simple and light. I'm going to use an old Mercury Thunderbolt 50 I scavenged from one of my other boats to power her. That motor has served me well for many years, it's very light and I hope it will have enough power to move the boat at a reasonable speed.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

If you don't add a ton of compartments and a lot of extra items that you don't need it should come out around 750 lbs. The 50 Merc should get you around 30 MPH> My neice lives close to you. Her name is Roxanne Edenfield. She works at post office in RPB or Wellington.Was in Wellington last time I lived down their. :doh:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.