OT16 Otter completed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

OT16 Otter completed

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

There are a few pictures of the 15'6" pulling boat I completed in June 2010 at http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197.

The boat lines were based on 1985 plans by Joe Dobler but with many simplifications and materials of the Otter 16 plans by Jacques Mertans. I added some of my own features drawn from my experience building a 7'3" version of the Dobler Pepita. The first launch was the rowing version. Later, we motored with a 2HP OB. A gunter sailing rig was completed in time to attend the Cedar Key small boat get together in May. I am still working out some of the details and improvements.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OT16 Otter completed

Post by Rick »

Justin -- that is a pretty boat. I've been in love with the design ever since reading Thomas Firth Jones' book and it's a pleasure to see some better photos than Jones had to work with.

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

Nice. It's good to see a rigged out OT16 on the water. Much appreciated.

A lithe craft, marked by effortless grace.

Keep the pictures and reports coming Justin.

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Wow - what a great looking boat; I can tell there was a lot of work put into it. I just ordered plans for one of my own - building should start as soon as I get back in town next weekend and you've really given me a boost in the morale department.

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

If you are building the Otter, perhaps I can make a few suggestions or answer any questions.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
Otter/Lissa

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Thank you - I am sure I will need a guide along the way.

I was planning marine fir for this application, fully glassed to prevent checking. It's either that or pay $40 / sheet more and drive a few hundred miles to get it from what my research shows so far.

Thanks in advance.

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

I think you are at the point of the nebby here that starts out thinking cheap plywood. What follows next if you check the posts here is that 5-10 posts will tell you for a variety of reasons that finding good plywood is worth the trouble. Most new potential builders surrender.

I was faced with the same problem in 1988 when I started Just Right. Amazingly, I couldn't find appropriate plywood in Los Angeles. Okoume is now much more widely available. I know bateau stocks marine grade plywood and will ship to your door. Even better, for some boats, they even cut out the panels and kit the boat. I'm not sure whether they are set up to cut out the Otter.

The Otter uses 1/4 inch ply. I used 4MM for the side panels. I used a little more glass than I would now recommend and my boat still weighed about 130 pounds. I estimated that I saved about 14 pounds by using the 4MM ply. Building out of 1/4 fir might bring the weight up to almost 200 pounds. Once in the water the extra weight isn't that important but when handling the boat in and out of the water less weight is helpful.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
Otter/Lissa

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

I am hardly an expert woodworker, nor am I made of money - in fact I'm a poor guy :). I guess it comes down to diminishing returns. 50 or so lbs one way or the other isn't going to make or break me, or change whether I build the boat. If the checking issue can be resolved with 4oz cloth I'll do that. I strongly prefer to glass the entire hull anyhow. I've even set about figuring out if it could be vacuum bagged (I've done wing panels before in a class). In the end will the cost be the same as the more expensive panel and weigh more? Maybe. But I bet it's a lot stronger too. Me I'd rather grunt more lifting than sweat more whether I'm about to put my fat foot through the side of my pretty new boat :)

I may be able to work in a trip south (Houston) to pick up marine grade Okume panels. I'm no fool I know the pros and cons here. I do believe in diminishing returns; if they're going to be $85 / each for 1/4" I'm afraid I'll have to find another building method, find an alternative or just give the idea up wholesale.

Finally - there's a strong feeling here that there will be a 'next boat' - and that next boat is likely going to be 100% marine fir ply (weight is far less critical on this hull - and it calls to be 100% fabric and epoxy encapsulated anyhow) in the panels so I will need these techniques under my belt.

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

I was going to suggest that you just cover the bottom with glass and flowcoat the sides. We have kayaks built this way and they have held up just fine. Weight was really important here.

I notice that Meranti in BS1088 or 6566 are much cheaper than Okoume and you could get get around the checking problem. I The quotes for 1/4 marine fir that I found were near the price of meranti.

I understand now your reason for experimenting with fir. The first boats I built used AA marine fir and AC exterior. I didn't own them long enough to get an idea on durability.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
Otter/Lissa

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Excellent information - I agree that the cost of Meranti makes that alternative at least a viable one. Probably lower TCO there than glassing, too. It would only be a $10 / sheet premium over local price for fir and that includes the shipping (we have a terminal where I work so that helps).

Well - orders will be made soon enough and we'll see how this goes :) For now my 'practice' project is waiting on an epoxy order and I have some plans to study.

Thanks, and again - wonderful boat.