Lanes P21 *SPLASHED*

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Lanes P21 *SPLASHED*

Post by fastlane »

hello.

been a long time since i posted so i wanted to share some progress on my p21. Its going on 4 years now but its just about complete and it has turned out really well. Its been a challange with my severe wood alergy but persistance has paid off.

I'm in the process of painting and test fitting everthing now. the hull will be blue with some yellow accent when done.
We put a lot of thought and details into the project and cant wait to hit the water with it. Theres still a lot of work to finish but i can see the finish line.

i also added some more to my gallery if anyones intereted
Last edited by fastlane on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Lanes P21

Post by Mad Dog »

Excellent! Just went throught the gallery. You've done a great job. :D

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

danieloldhouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by danieloldhouse »

Fastlane very interesting pics indeed! The P21 is one of my favourite boats and your's looks very nice, I feel a great accuracy for the details, please keep us updated!
Daniele

Baitcaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Baitcaster »

Severe allergy to wood! Okay, I now have absolutely no excuse not to build a boat! Good on ya!
My karma ran over my dogma.

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Beautiful job, I have plans for the P21 but built two others first :D Maybe next one.
Great detail and finish.
Daddy

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Very nice, Fastlane! Looks like you're fitting windows in the 2nd photo? What are you using?

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

Thank you all for the replies. i will be adding more pictures to my gallery once i get them all re-sized.

I would like to thank Dave, Hope2float. He is also building a P21 just a few miles from me. Its been a real help to have him around to ponder and figure out some of the details of this project.
Baitcaster wrote:Severe allergy to wood! Okay, I now have absolutely no excuse not to build a boat! Good on ya!
Go for it Baitcaster. I thought about throwing in the towel. the precautions i had to take really extended the built time but well worth it in the end.

chicagoross wrote:Very nice, Fastlane! Looks like you're fitting windows in the 2nd photo? What are you using?

Chicagoross The sliding side windows i ordered from Wynne enterprises. I'm very happy with them and the price was fair. less then $400 custom made and delivered. the windshield and side windows are 1/4 plexiglass. i made 1/4 recess to mount them in and will attach with 3m VHB tape and some silicone. I painted a boarder with some plastic paint to cover the mounting and it looks pretty slick, like a car window when installed

DIXON7007
New Poster
New Poster

Post by DIXON7007 »

HI LANE, I WOULD SUGGEST USING SOMETHING BETTER THAN A SILICONE I OR II. BEING IN THE COMMERCIAL GLASS BUSINESS FOR 10 YEARS NOW, WE HAVE HAD OUR MISHAPS WITH WET GLAZING AS WELL AS BUTT GLAZING WITH SILICONE. DOW CORNING MAKES A STRUCTURAL SEALANT THAT ALLOWS EXPANDING AND CONTRACTING WITHOUT DEALING WITH SHRINKAGE. TWO VERSION "795 AND 995" THOUGH THEY RUN ABOUT $10 -$12 A TUBE,THEY ARE WELL WORTH THE MONEY AND TOOL VERY EASILY. THE CAULK SHOULD BE AVAILABLE AT MOST CONSTUCTION SUPPLY HOUSES,JUST A SUGGESTION.GREAT WORK, YOU SHOULD BE PROUD.

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

Dixon7007
thank you for the reply. the silicone is just to seal the windows and make them look good. The 3m VHB tape is what will be attaching the pane. Off the top of my head i don't recall part number i have but it is a structural adhesive tape specifically designed for bonding plastics and laminates to the exterior of vehicles and buildings. It should be.

DIXON7007 wrote:HI LANE, I WOULD SUGGEST USING SOMETHING BETTER THAN A SILICONE I OR II. BEING IN THE COMMERCIAL GLASS BUSINESS FOR 10 YEARS NOW, WE HAVE HAD OUR MISHAPS WITH WET GLAZING AS WELL AS BUTT GLAZING WITH SILICONE. DOW CORNING MAKES A STRUCTURAL SEALANT THAT ALLOWS EXPANDING AND CONTRACTING WITHOUT DEALING WITH SHRINKAGE. TWO VERSION "795 AND 995" THOUGH THEY RUN ABOUT $10 -$12 A TUBE,THEY ARE WELL WORTH THE MONEY AND TOOL VERY EASILY. THE CAULK SHOULD BE AVAILABLE AT MOST CONSTUCTION SUPPLY HOUSES,JUST A SUGGESTION.GREAT WORK, YOU SHOULD BE PROUD.

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Wil you use any thing in addition to the tape to hold the panel in place. How is the tape affected by UV?
Daddy