HMD18 - Inside Passage or Bust!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

HMD18 - Inside Passage or Bust!!

Post by SP »

I received my plans yesterday and have been going through them. They look great.

I am building the HMD18 not only for the experience and enjoyment of building a boat, but to cruise the Inside Passage from Puget Sound to Alaska and back. I picked this boat for this specific trip and it will be built and fitted out with this cruise in mind.

I have some design change ideas and lots of questions about how to fit out the boat, which I will eventually get to, but thought it would be a good idea to attempt a model first. I have never built a model before. We will see what happens.

This is what I accomplished tonight. I would of done more, but I ran out of material.

I am also thinking about taking video to document the process and putting it up on youtube.

I have no idea if I am going to be successful or how long it is going to take, but getting started is sometimes half the battle.

Here is to my next great adventure!!!

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HMD18 - Inside Passage or Bust!!

Post by gstanfield »

Getting started is indeed a major milestone. Building a model is very good as well :D

As to documentation, please oh please give us lots of pictures, videos, whatever you come up with along the way. It helps answer questions that future prospecitve builders may ask as well as lets us help you as we can see what you're doing in the event you have trouble.

...also, we just love pictures :wink:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Plus, post pictures! :D The response and following of your build thread will depend on regular picture posting - each picture invites more comments and suggestions.

HMD was a fun build - very straightforward. No major hidden surprises to figure out. I build mine for tropics (as you can see), it will be interesting seeing your modifications for the Alaska cruise. I'd assume enclosed pilothouse and mosquito screens for starters... :D

I've had 7 people on my HMD and the scuppers were still above water; the boat has a tremendous capacity for its size, and also a ton of storage, which makes it a great choice for your purposes.

When I used to travel up in BC and NW territories, rifle and shotgun were OK with the Canadians, but they didn't want us to carry pistols. Whenever we flew, we carried one of each. Maybe you'll build the first HMD with a built in rifle rack? :D

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP »

I am working on the strongback. Once I get it built with the frames attached I will post a picture. Since the plans are in metric I am building the model in 1/10 scale. It is going to be a good size model.

I am already seeing a huge benefit in building the model. Going over the plans, drawing out parts, putting the strongback together..............

Every bit of it will benefit when building the boat in full scale.

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP »

I had planned on having the model mostly finished, but I have been having some dental work done lately, including getting my bottom wisdom teeth pulled on Mon. Pulled isn't really the word for it, they didn't want to come out and it turned into a full oral surgery procedure. The recovery has not been easy.

Some good news, my son (10) has taken a huge interest in the building of the boat.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Some good news, my son (10) has taken a huge interest in the building of the boat
That's not just "good" news, that is GREAT news :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Very cool that the kid is getting involved. Maybe as a part of it, he could build his own kayak so he builds his own personal boat for which he takes ownership.

If you need a hand, I'm in Spokane.

E

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Very cool. I love the title of this thread 8) I'd love to do that trip too, but I'd freeze to death so I ain't going there, but I'll root for you all the way from Georgia :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP »

I have been thinking about how to build out the pilothouse in order to get the most storage/usefulness etc.. and I think I am going to go with this. It is modeled some what after Devlin's Surf Scoter. I am going to push the port side seat forward so that the foot room is in the berth in order to gain more galley space. Starboard side is per plan. I will drop the sole for standing headroom between frames C and D. The square is a sink and the "X" is a one burner stove. I am not sure if having a built in stove and sink is worth it, but it would fit. You can also make the port side seat removeable to gain even more counter space if you want. I am thinking about a built in ice box under the port side seat.

Any suggestions, tips etc... is always welcome.

Surf Scoter

Pilot House layout to scale (sorry for the bad pics, either too dark, or too light with the flash)

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Seems doable to me! Of course you still have a ways to go before you're laying out the cabin... :D

You will have a ton of storage (Much more than the MM21) in the seat boxes and under the berths, the rear boxes by the motorwell, etc. Just forward of the motorwell I put a hatch in the cockpit sole, where I store the anchors and rodes. Since you are dropping the pilothouse floor, your seat boxes will be very deep. Even built as I did for a day cruiser, it would be no big prolem storing a few weeks of provisions on board for a couple.