VG20 (Destiny)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

VG20 (Destiny)

Post by cnieves670 »

I'm starting on the side panels. What would be easier to glue the 4x8 plywood together first then draw and cut or draw and cut the panels, then glue them?

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG20 (Destiny)

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

I recommend gluing the side and bottom panels and then lauing out the panels and cutting. This assume that you have space to lay out the panels. I built three idential height saw horses. I used the 2x4s that I planned to use for the basket mold and sheets of plywood to make a table for this process.

http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/Chap04.htm

When the panels are cut out, I recommend using the panels as patterns and cutting out the fiberglass fabric. Wrap up the glass and set it aside until time to apply to the hull.

In the last boat I built, (the Otter 16/Lissa), I had a very detailed dimensioned nesting. I was able to cut all four side panels out of two sheets of plywood. While I still had all the layout lines on the plywood, I laid out a reference line on both halves of the panel. I was able to lay a taut monofilament line along the reference lines so I could accurately line up the two panel halves.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

Thanks Justin, I'm doing just that. I was able to find 2 20' long 2x4 that were very straight, so I only needed two saw horses. But the rest of the table idea will be just as your idea. Hopefully I can start putting together the bottom and sides by the end of next week. Pictures coming soon

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

Sounds like you are on the right track. We'll all look forward to the pictures.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
Otter/Lissa

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

bottom chimes done. on to the sides and hope to be 3d by the end of next week.
justin if you have pictures of the inside of your vacuum idea, I really need to cut down on the saw dust.

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Dust removal

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

I originally made the water trap connected to a whimpy shop vac. Late in the game, the shop vac died and I replaced it with a Home Depot Rigid brand shop vac. This one is far superior to the old one. Best of all, Home Depot sells several levels of filters so you can take your choice for fine dust filtering at slightly higher cost.As I remember, the Home Depot shop vac comes with a lifetime guarantee on the motor which is the part most likely to fail with the FG dust. I use the small diameter optional hose set.

I have an industrial strength orbital sander which comes with a hose dust collector. I found a universal hose size fitting at Home Depot which I use to connect up the sander to the shop vac.

In your picture, I hope I don't see an unfair curve at the forward glue joint??
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
Otter/Lissa

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

Justin,
Thanks for the info on the vacuum.
In the picture, there was a cordless drill under one of the panels and the angle of the camera.
I double check both panels and the measurements are right on the mark.

CaseyS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CaseyS »

You need to get a vacuum bag for the shop vac you are using. Or buy a shop vac that is capable of using these bags. Home Depot and Lowes both sells the vacuums and bags. The filter will get clogged with fine dust and you will find yourself cleaning it out every 5 minutes if your lucky to go that long.

The bigger the vacuum the bigger the bag it can use. The bags arent super cheap but they hold a lot of dust. If you go to use the vacuum for something other than the dust then take the bag out and use the supplied canister for collection so you don't waste bag space with larger debris.

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

[imghttp://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/50037/normal_2012-009.JPG][/img]
Starting to see how big it really is, now that the side walls are almost done.
Thanks Casey. I'm going to give bags a try.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

corrected your pic hope you don't mind
cnieves670 wrote:Image