Rapchizzle's GF14 - Creek Rat (COMPLETE! 8-23)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Rapchizzle's GF14 - Creek Rat (COMPLETE! 8-23)

Post by Rapchizzle »

Alright, so I've got the GF14 plans in my lap and have put in my order for 7 sheets of Meranti BS6566 and all the fiberglass and epoxy I'm going to need and more! I'll be building this boat while I'm living in the Keys this summer and have to have it ready to roll up to Charleston, SC when I move back home in September.

I'll be using it primarily for fishing, flounder gigging, oyster picking, marsh hen hunting, grass flats fishing, and shrimping in the creeks and harbor of the Lowcountry so it needs to be light and tough as nails. I'll also be making the occasional sandbar run loaded down with ladies and whatnot so I'll want to make sure it looks sweet as well. I hope to have some significant progress done by the time the Builders Bash in June in Marathon so I can put it on a trailer and bring it up to show off.

I've done plenty of reading and am looking forward to getting started as soon as the stuff gets here!
Last edited by Rapchizzle on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Rapchizzle's GF14 - Creek Rat

Post by Cracker Larry »

Let us know if we can help, Chris. That's a great choice of boats for the Low Country. You will be pleased with it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Look forward to seeing it come together!

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

It would be cool to see a GF14 done kinda like the "Mini Muncher". :D

Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rapchizzle »

My epoxy and fiberglass just got here and I've got my work space set up. I've even got van bench seats for the ladies to come hang out and watch me do work! I recently got a fancy camera and am itching to use it so expect quite a few pictures from me.

I did a rebuild on a 13ft Malibu a couple years ago and that's what really got me inspired to build this new boat. You can check out the pictures at this link (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 86f489a40c). I plan to make a photo album on my Facebook and use it to host the pictures to post on this here forum.

Now I'm just waiting for that plywood to get here so I can get to building.

Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rapchizzle »

I just picked up some odds and ends at Home Depot today and am getting the wood for the cleats, runners, rub rails and spray rails tomorrow. I am figuring out the exact plans for what I'll be putting in the bow, middle seat and rear seat and as it's looking right now, I'll have my battery mounted in the middle seat powering a CD player and cigarette lighter with a chase tube going up the starboard to the bow to power 2 6" marine speakers, shark eye LED nav lights, and a trolling motor in the event I get one. There will also be a chase tube going to the stern to power a removable LED pole anchor light and an electric start outboard in the event I get one. I'm still considering leaving an opening in the chase tube for a transducer in the event I decide to install a depth finder/GPS unit in the future. Then again, it's just a jon boat so I may wait until I build a bigger boat for all that business...

I think I'll design the rear seat to have a 12"x12" cutout for the motor well with drain tubes from the deck so I can easily access the drain plug to empty the boat as I'll be filling it up with water when throwing the cast net while shrimping. The area in front of that motor well will be enclosed and full of foam for flotation. On either side of the motor well/foam will be enclosed hatches for life jackets, tools, etc.

The bow will have the two speakers mounted on either side of the hatch with the nav lights in either side of the hull. There will be wires and whatnot so I'm hesitant to put the gas tank in there and I might leave it on the deck in front. I also will keep my grapel anchor in a bucket with a bouy on the end of the line so I can drop the anchor to chase fish.

Would the gas tank be okay under the bow deck with those wires running about? If I plan to keep it in there, would I be best advised to leave the hatch open?

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Sounds like you have things pretty well thought out. That seat looks like a pretty good place to think about things like that! :) If you plan to use an ordinary marine deep cycle in the mid seat, you might have to drop it in through a top hatch! I am using a small deep cycle from battery plus (not really sure what it is designed for but works good for running the depth finder for a day) and it will barely fit through my cutout in the upright position.

I wouldn't close a portable tank in with any wiring and in NC, you would probably get a ticket for having a portable tank or even a quart of oil in a closed compartment. I got a warning ticket once for having some 2 cycle oil in a closed compartment!

Have fun with the build!

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Nice building space 8)

You could put a permanent tank under the bow and enclose it, but not a portable. It's a simple boat though, better to keep it simple. These boats trim light in the bow and some weight up there is a good thing. I usually kept the tank forward of the center seat and ran the hose through the water drains in the center frames.

I built a little battery box in the center seat and used a lawn mower battery to power lights, pump and a gps/fishfinder combo. It would run everything for days without charging. I didn't have a trolling motor though, that changes everything for power requirements.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I searched batteries plus and think this is the battery that I have been using. It is made for a wheelchair and deep cycle. It is kind of expensive but has lasted for 3 1/2 years now and will manage a small amount of small trolling motor use during the day.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/45 ... ga-14.aspx

Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rapchizzle »

After much deliberation on where to put the battery, run the chase tubes, mount the lights and speakers and do it all while making sure nothing gets too exposed to saltwater, I've decided I'm going to keep it simple and do without an electrical system. I'll have some clamp on lights for when I'm running and fishing at night and a rechargeable, waterproof, work radio that I can remove when I'm done. I'll save weight, money and time by not worrying about all that because after all, it's just a jon boat for beating around in...