APJaK CX19 Coastal eXplorer in Kelowna, BC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

APJaK CX19 Coastal eXplorer in Kelowna, BC

Post by APLJaK »

Well this is turning into a long project.

Unfortunately, I did not post an ongoing building history of the build of my CX19. I have now posted pictures of the build in the builders gallery http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... er_name=on

The CX19 plans were ordered in the late summer of 2009 and I spent the winter reading them and dreaming of the boat that would come. In the spring of 2010 I found a supplier for Meranti and placed my order. The plywood arrived and I was committed. I spent most of the summer building the panels, assemblying a strongback and looking for a suitable location to build. I never found a truly suitable location, but decided to take over the garden instead.

By the end of the summer I had the hull assembled and glued and most of the outside of the hull glassed. The upper side panels were attached but had not been glassed yet. At some point I also realized that I would need a shelter. I purchased a 12' x 20' tent from Costco and set it up over the boat. While the shelter was nice, it did make for cramped working conditions.

Come winter, the hull was placed into hibernation.

In the Spring of 2011 I finished glassing the upper panels into place proeeded with fairing. I also ran out of my first batch of epoxy (5 gallons) and ordered my second batch (7.5 gallons). Between work, a cool spring and hot weather during the summer, my progress was slow. However, by the fall of 2011, I had the hull faired and the lifting strakes and spray rails were built and installed. I also managed to get the hull primed and a graphite bottom was rolled on (3-4 coats). I was reasonably happy with my progress and was confident it was time to flip.

Winter 2011 the hull was again placed into hibernation and my search for a trailer began. I had no luck over the winter and come spring 2012 I was still looking. I was about to place an order for a nice shiny new galvanized tandem when I stumbled on an older EZ loader singe axle. I purchased the trailer knowing that it was probably not adequate as my final trailer, but it should allow me to flip the hull and get back to building.

The spring of 2012 has proven to be a poor time for boat building for me. The weather has been cool and wet, my tent leaks a bit and the birds covered the boat with droppings. It is now the end of May and I really haven't done anything on the boat! However, since I purchased the trailer, I have cleaned and readied the hull for flipping. My plan is to try and get some strong guys together maybe on the weekend to flip the hull onto the trailer. One this is done, I can get back to work although I am looking at my epoxy reserves and will probably have to order more very soon. The tent is all but taken down although I left the roof in place for now as it affords the hull a bit of protection from the elements. Once the hull is flipped, I may not be able to reuse the tent so will be forced to tarp the hull after each work day. Not sure how well that is going to work.

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: APJaK CX19 Coastal eXplorer in Kelowna, BC

Post by Spokaloo »

Just keep plugging away, it will get done!

If you need any special help or you give up and need someone to finish her up for you, I'm over here in Spokane.

E

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

Spokaloo wrote:Just keep plugging away, it will get done!

If you need any special help or you give up and need someone to finish her up for you, I'm over here in Spokane.

E
Thanks Eric

I will NOT give up, ever. Just not in me! ;-)

However, I may very well take you up on the offer for assistance/answering questions, etc.

BTW, the wife and I spent a week in Couer d'Alene in March and as we passed through Spokane, I thought about calling you to look at your boats. Of course, that's all I did - think about it.

Luciano

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Next time stop by ya dead beat!

8)

E

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

:?

Well, we did stop at Costco - everyone of them! I even found West Marine across from one of the Costco's (but didn't stop). BTW, that has to be one of the biggest Cabela's that I have ever seen.

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

APJaK; welcome to the forum! You will find it very helpful, most of what I have learned for this type of building has come from the great folks that all contribute and are happy to answer questions (not to mention have nice boats that they built themselves)

PS: I grew up in Vernon, but am out Toronto way now, mostly due to career. Lots of boating with all the lakes but I sure miss the west. I Still get out every chance I get, but only have one friend left in Vernon, the rest are on the Island, Cow Bay (great crabbing & prawning)

Cheers, talk to you soon and GOOD LUCK !
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

Hi Mark

Nice to hear from you. Actually, I have been a casual member for a couple of years now. You're correct, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum and it certainly helps when a question crops up.

I am born/bred in BC and have lived everywhere, including Van Isle (Victoria, Nanaimo, Quadra Island, etc.). Years (lots of them) ago, I was a dock rat at April Point on Quadra. Story was we had the largest privately owned fleet of Boston Whalers (13-25 ft) in the world and were a major purchaser of Evinrude engines. Made a great time for fishing and exploring as we were located 15 minutes South of Seymour Narrows. There are some serious tides/currents in this area. Spent a lot of time surfing the wake of the cruise ships as well - much to the annoyance of the captains. My CX is to allow me to spend a bit more time back on the coast although in a more laid back style 8) .

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Luciano, Best wishes and press on with your build. You live in a wonderful place. My wife and I have visited Victoria on business and love the people and area.

I'm 6 months behind my projected build out and our winters are mild.

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

Southern Gent wrote:Luciano, Best wishes and press on with your build. You live in a wonderful place. My wife and I have visited Victoria on business and love the people and area.

I'm 6 months behind my projected build out and our winters are mild.
Victoria (Vancouver Island) has much milder climate than Kelowna so the building season might have been a little longer for me as well. However they can get a lot more rain. If (when?) I build another one I need to find an indoor building location. I never set a schedule for my build, so I am not technically behind schedule, but I do take a lot of - friendly? - ribbing from friends and family. Oh well, I remember the tale of the little red hen! When it comes time to go fishing, we'll see who is laughing

Hope your build is coming along - I am hoping to flip my hull this weekend.

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

Looks like a once a year update!

Boat has been flipped onto trailer. My wife and I glassed the inside of the hull using four almost full sheets of 50" wide glass. What a job. Between no place to stand and a wobbly hull in 40 degree Celsius weather it was a very trying ordeal. The stringers and frames have all been glassed into place. The upside of this is the incredible stiffening of the hull. No more floppy sides. Again, I have had a slow start this spring but have finally started building the cabin. I am working completely outdoors which means tarping at the end of each work day. This is no fun. :cry:

It is nice to see my plywood stockpile dwindling away as the pieces get cut and placed into the boat. Found that the plan dimensions for the deck are a good starting point, but cannot be relied on to cut the parts. This is probably due to the tolerances at each step of the hull build. For this reason, I have been using a lot of templates to get the final shape correct before cutting the expensive marine ply. I also ordered another 4.5 gallons of Marinepoxy, some flotation foam and paint. This should be the last of my epoxy needs (now 16.5 gallons purchased/11 gallons used). Not too far off the BOM at 15 gallons, but I also purchased a gallon or so of glue and fairing putty.

Started building agin this morning, but the rain is back so I took a break and decided to update my project build info. New photos coming soon I hope.