Birmingham RB14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Birmingham RB14

Post by 94Virago »

Hey, everyone! My name is William Wolfe, but my friends just call me Wolfe. I have chosen to build the 14-foot Runabout. I chose it for a number of reasons. I like the style. I'm looking forward to decking it in mahogany and working out a smooth, beautiful finish. I love the type of boat this is. I'm going to want to just get a boat on the water and drive until I run out of gas -- then fill it up and drive some more. I might even want to invite a young lady to join me. Finally, the size of this boat will fit quite neatly in my garage alongside some other woodworking projects I have going on.

I've been woodworking for several years now. My dad taught me from a young age and it's been a great outlet for both my creative side and that geometric part of my brain.

Several months ago, Dad and I were talking about fishing in the Gulf and he asked me once again why I don't have a boat. Then he brought up that he and his father used to build Glen L boats back when it was all purchased out of the backs of magazines. Over his lifetime, Grandfather had built about five boats.

Prior to that conversation, I had never heard of such a thing. But I was hooked immediately. It took me about four months just to decide which plan to buy, but I finally did it. I took a month to pour over the drawings.

I recently made my inaugural cut.
It's the bowmold, cut from a scrap of birch plywood I had laying around. Being the big kid I am, I took the photo to work on my phone and showed it to absolutely everybody.

Lots of eyerolls.

I'm most looking forward to getting help from friends and family on this build. I think this will be a good opportunity to teach my niece a lot about woodworking. I even bought her a dust mask.

And, like so many of you, I'm looking forward to the day when I can lean back in my Runabout and say, "What, this? Just got done building it."
--Wolfe
"When in doubt, give it more throttle."

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Birmingham RB14

Post by tobolamr »

Ha ha! :lol: Your niece almost looks like she's shocked in that picture!

Keep up the build! And take LOTS of pictures for us picture hungry fools!

johnnemo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnnemo »

Congratulations on getting started. Posting updates on the forum motivates me to keep going - I can look back and see what I have accomplished and when I find myself on page 4 I know its time to get busy building. Good luck with the build.

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

Got some of the stations cut out. If I feel this large a swell of pride just from that, I'll probably fall over dead once I get the boat finished.
--Wolfe

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

Pride is what you deserve when you cut your own panels rather than buying a pre-cut kit. Nice :!: :D

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Good start and good of you to share with a younger generation. Keep it up and you'll be floating in no time 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

gstanfield wrote:Good start and good of you to share with a younger generation. Keep it up and you'll be floating in no time 8)
I'll turn that girl into a tomboy yet. :wink:
--Wolfe

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Wolfe, Welcome. We are neighbors of a sort. I live down S. Shades Crest. Shoot me a P.M.

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

Got all of the stations cut out. Still need to do the transom layers and the rest of the stringers.

I'm a little ashamed of my unabashed childish glee, but I took Station A to work to show off.

"That's nice, Wolfe."
--Wolfe

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

I'm a little ashamed of my unabashed childish glee, but I took Station A to work to show off.
Why be ashamed? You are doing what 98% of the world is scared to death of doing and will do their best to talk you out of! Be PROUD of what you're doing! And take pride in doing it right!